Jump to content

1912116577_Solarchallenge2022banner.jpg.913a200cf105ddeae9f37765cb1d0c73.jpg

The ultimate travel kit?


Recommended Posts

Just playing around with latest kit to see what I can fit in my ThinkTank Airport Accelerator case. Turns out that it’s quite a lot. I often think that the 76DCU isn’t that much smaller than the 100DC but actually when packed up it is quite a lot more compact and leaves space for more accessories.

Anyway, this is what I managed to fit in quite comfortably:

Tak FC76DCU with rings and dovetail

FS60C objective

CQ Extender

2” 45 degree erecting prism (for spotting)

BBHS T2 mirror diagonal

Baader CoolWedge

Mark IV Binoviewers with GPC

Panoptic 24mm

Leica 8.9 to 17.8 ASPH Zoom

Morpheus 17.5mm

Morpheus 12.5mm

Nag 3 to 6mm Zoom

Zeiss Abbé Barlow

9x50 RACI Finder

Lumicon OIII (2” and 1.25”), UHC and Hb. DGM 2”

Extension tube (may not be needed!)

Dew strips and controller

10x25 Nikon binos

Surprising what you can fit into a case which is suitable for carry on baggage on many airlines. Admittedly the weight might be a problem (haven’t weighed it) but I could easily live without a few bits, or put them in hold baggage along with the Gitzo and Scopetech mount.

 

FC7DB7DC-3364-4FE0-B419-97F130CAB6F4.thumb.jpeg.6cac78a4a12f62648fe74b284c4a628f.jpeg

1E69B3A5-B518-47EE-A17F-EA774EF26C06.thumb.jpeg.7a0750c2bee0c32251380767336f0923.jpeg

AD31BD16-ED51-4C30-ACE8-B37DB0E16BF4.thumb.jpeg.1ef995802a96395b3e34339c1ec7a73d.jpeg

E997E15A-24DD-46DB-A3A2-533451A30B1E.thumb.jpeg.58665d1db677cbeadcf99e7185d9cc4d.jpeg

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Stu said:

Just playing around with latest kit to see what I can fit in my ThinkTank Airport Accelerator case. Turns out that it’s quite a lot. I often think that the 76DCU isn’t that much smaller than the 100DC but actually when packed up it is quite a lot more compact and leaves space for more accessories.

Anyway, this is what I managed to fit in quite comfortably:

Tak FC76DCU with rings and dovetail

FS60C objective

CQ Extender

2” 45 degree erecting prism (for spotting)

BBHS T2 mirror diagonal

Baader CoolWedge

Mark IV Binoviewers with GPC

Panoptic 24mm

Leica 8.9 to 17.8 ASPH Zoom

Morpheus 17.5mm

Morpheus 12.5mm

Nag 3 to 6mm Zoom

Zeiss Abbé Barlow

9x50 RACI Finder

Lumicon OIII (2” and 1.25”), UHC and Hb. DGM 2”

Extension tube (may not be needed!)

Dew strips and controller

10x25 Nikon binos

Surprising what you can fit into a case which is suitable for carry on baggage on many airlines. Admittedly the weight might be a problem (haven’t weighed it) but I could easily live without a few bits, or put them in hold baggage along with the Gitzo and Scopetech mount.

 

 

 

 

 

Don't forget the insurance - that lot certainly won't be covered by standard travel cover! I have my cameras and lenses for all risks on the household insurance - a lot cheaper than extending travel cover or going to one of the photographic specialists.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

Don't forget the insurance - that lot certainly won't be covered by standard travel cover! I have my cameras and lenses for all risks on the household insurance - a lot cheaper than extending travel cover or going to one of the photographic specialists.

Thanks very much. Yes, covered on household insurance. In all honesty this would mainly be travelling within the U.K., I don’t often jet off to foreign parts although we are certainly overdue a foreign holiday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, IB20 said:

I’d want to travel on Air Force One if I travelled with all that premium gear!

Seriously though, great set up. Covers all bases.

Hadn’t really totalled up the value. Don’t think I want to!! 😱😱

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's a huge amount of kit. Very impressive to get all that into cabin baggage. I'm envious :) I was using a small camera bag, 45x35x20 I think but it was bursting with 60CB, Gitzo Traveller, Manfrotto video head and three eyepieces.

Malcolm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks to be a better set of kit than I have at home - never mind take on holiday!

Slightly off topic, but relevant if travelling by air.
I have found certain airlines aren't too fussed if your cabin bag is a bit over size or weight.
Other airlines rip you off for going a gramme over the weight or a millimetre over size.
I have had to resort to showing counter staff a printed copy of the limits if they have argued - be prepared.

The best oversize story was from a neighbour. Their cabin bags were a bit over. It was their mistake, using case body rather than overall dimensions..
The airline was going to charge them something like £150 a bag to put them in the hold.
To be specific the feet & castors were the only part making the bags oversize. The customer solution, remove the feet from their £20 bags!
So they turned around with a view to getting a taxi to the local B&Q to buy a hacksaw.
As it happened, there were workmen just outside the terminal building who were happy to help.
5 minutes later their modified (but allowed) luggage left very long scratch marks on the floor through the terminal building.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Carbon Brush said:

5 minutes later their modified (but allowed) luggage left very long scratch marks on the floor through the terminal building.

Too bad the airlines neither own nor maintain the concourses, or that would have been a great response.  The local city will be on the hook for repairs instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Check the weight against what you feel comfortable lugging through an airport and shoving in an overhead bin.  My back isn't what it used to be, so I can't carry much weight for those sorts of distances anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have never had my carry-on bags weight checked that I can recall, only my checked bags.  When would they weight check your carry-on bags since you never put them on a scale during check-in?  Do they have a different process in Europe than the US?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I have never had my carry-on bags weight checked that I can recall, only my checked bags.  When would they weight check your carry-on bags since you never put them on a scale during check-in?  Do they have a different process in Europe than the US?

Phillipines internal flight. Everything weighed, including the passengers. Weight distribution more important on smaller planes perhaps. Or cutting fuel to minimum!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I have never had my carry-on bags weight checked that I can recall, only my checked bags.  When would they weight check your carry-on bags since you never put them on a scale during check-in?  Do they have a different process in Europe than the US?

It depends on the airline. Some (usually the budget airlines) get you to put your hand luggage on the scales, and require you to fit it into a frame/cage to prove size.
Others just see if you can pick up hand luggage in one hand and are being polite to their staff😁

Edited by Carbon Brush
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, UKDiver said:

Phillipines internal flight. Everything weighed, including the passengers. Weight distribution more important on smaller planes perhaps. Or cutting fuel to minimum!

I was once on a puddle jumper flying up the Hudson River corridor.  Before the flight, the pilot walked back to the passenger area (18 passengers as I recall in 6 rows of 3) and rearranged us left right and front to back to get the weight distribution correct.  All carry-on luggage was piled into a bungee corded closet in the back.  It flew slower than single engine planes using the same corridor.  Looking at internet images, I think it must have been a Short SC.7 Skyliner:

spacer.png

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I was once on a puddle jumper flying up the Hudson River corridor.  Before the flight, the pilot walked back to the passenger area (18 passengers as I recall in 6 rows of 3) and rearranged us left right and front to back to get the weight distribution correct.  All carry-on luggage was piled into a bungee corded closet in the back.  It flew slower than single engine planes using the same corridor.  Looking at internet images, I think it must have been a Short SC.7 Skyliner:

I can't recall the plane, but numbers were similar. Gravel runway ending with a drop. A plane had crashed a couple of years before releasing its cargo of lobsters on a nearby mountain!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I flew from LGW to VAR in 1999 for the solar eclipse, LGW check-in/handling agent wanted me to place my ‘scope case, (which was your regular aluminium camera/photographer case), in the hold. I refused to do so. Through passport control & security, the x-ray machine operator/staff flagged it for closer examination/screening and asked: “What the hell is that?” He was a little ‘miffed’ when my LHR staff ID fell out of my pocket whilst I was getting my passport from my jacket pocket and muttering something.

Upon departing VAR check-in staff, passport control & security, etc., I had no issues. One VAR airport x-ray machine operator/security staff said: “Nice telescope...” (referring to my TeleVue Ranger) “...You see eclipse?”

The tripod, mount, 2x SLR’s, photo lenses, 6x rolls of 35mm film, photography bag, etc., went in the suitcase, protected by my clothes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Philip R said:

The tripod, mount, 2x SLR’s, photo lenses, 6x rolls of 35mm film, photography bag, etc., went in the suitcase, protected by my clothes.

You're lucky they didn't disappear in baggage handling.  Theft from checked baggage is a big issue in major US airports.  The X-ray machines show them exactly what's inside, so they alert an accomplice to do the dirty work later in handling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Louis D said:

You're lucky they didn't disappear in baggage handling.  Theft from checked baggage is a big issue in major US airports.  The X-ray machines show them exactly what's inside, so they alert an accomplice to do the dirty work later in handling.

Same happens here at some GB/UK airports too! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On theft from luggage. I always secure zips and locks using small cable ties through the loops.
Easy enough to cut for a genuine security check or for theft. But I will know immediately (at the collection carousel) if someone has been in there.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

On theft from luggage. I always secure zips and locks using small cable ties through the loops.
Easy enough to cut for a genuine security check or for theft. But I will know immediately (at the collection carousel) if someone has been in there.
 

They just put a new zip-tie on it when done to avoid attracting attention.  Legitimate checked baggage inspection does the same and puts a note in the bag informing you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, RobertI said:

Impressive Stu, that’s a lot of kit in a small package. You haven’t packed twin eyepieces for your binoviewer though!

Actually the eyepieces are in the binoviewers. I use 25mm Zeiss Orthos which are converted microscope eyepieces. They have good eye relief and are very sharp with low light scatter.

I only use these eyepieces, then use GPCs/barlows and extensions to vary the mag.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Joacim said:

Are you a climber aswell? Did notice the Scarpa chalkbag :)

 

Really nice kit btw

Strangely no. I bought a couple of these a while back as they are handy for hanging off a tripod and popping eyepieces in to keep dry. As you probably know, they have a draw string closure at the top and a fleecy lining so work well for that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.