SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC 2683 (The UFO Galaxy)

Shibby

It took me several nights to pull together enough data for this one. I've still had to push the luminance quite hard to reveal the fainter parts, but a fresh set of flats helped a lot. I'm a little disappointed I haven't revealed a bit more structure in the outer arms.

I went looking for interesting facts about this galaxy. Couldn't really find any so here a couple of mildly notable facts :)

• It is not part of a group, which is relatively uncommon.
  • It has an unsually high number of globular clusters - 300 or so.
  • Although arguably flying, it's not unidentified. It was discovered by Herschel in 1788, although of course nobody knew what "spiral nebulae" were for sure until Hubble figured it out in the 1920s!

Image details

• 190MN
  • Atik 460ex
  • L: 22x600s
  • RGB: 3x17x300s
  • Total: ~8 hours
  • Processing: DSS, Photoshop
  • Scale ~1.4 arcsec/pixel

Thanks for looking

1310735091_UFOGalaxy-NGC2683.thumb.png.763a4ef0c36de13d0e051ea0f71678b7.png

• Like 18

Excellent! Once again, a 190MN delivers.

2 hours ago, Shibby said:

I'm a little disappointed I haven't revealed a bit more structure in the outer arms.

I've imaged this galaxy three times now, and haven't been able to extract more detail. If you stretch the data very aggressively, you find out that the galaxy extends a little further, but not much, and no additional details. So, well done.

https://www.astrobin.com/jd2hjn/

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, wimvb said:

Excellent! Once again, a 190MN delivers.

Thanks very much! Yeah I've been very happy with the 190MN ever since I got it. It's difficult to imagine ever swapping it for anything else (unless I come across a massive windfall!) I decided to re-collimate it recently, though, using an OCAL and think I've had a negative effect. I'll post a separate thread about that.

• Like 1