SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Best second-hand camera lenses for £50-100

Josh123SV

Greetings, 

Looking to broaden my Astrophotography horizons with a camera lens. I currently have a canon 500d and 18-55mm standard kit lens. Because I don't really know what I am doing and I don't have much money, my budget is very low around £50-100 and I am mainly just looking at the second hand market such as Ebay and FB marketplace. I have heard some good things about old lenses and most are within my budget. As well as what are the question posed in the title, what should I look for in a camera lens? I am not looking for milky-way widefield images, but mainly Orion nebula/horsehead neb widefield. Additionally, I live in a Bortle 7 and have an EQ5 pro Mount.

Many thanks and Clear skies, 

Josh 

Edited by Josh123SV

Assuming you have an apcs sized sensor dslr a fixed prime lens will be a good start. From my experience you will however need a star tracker if doing more than 10-15 seconds exposures to counteract star trailing, the longer the focal length of the lens the more you'll need one. Orion nebula generally appears at 5 second exposures, horsehead will be more difficult and needs minutes exposures though this depends on the f stop you're using and your local conditions.

I'd go for a prime lens rather than a zoom.  My first ventures into astrophotography were with the Canon 50mm f1.8, even today it is just over £100 new and £60 - £80 second hand. With your Canon 500D and a 50mm lens you will just fit in Orion with Betelgeuse and Rigel in opposite corners but will still be able to make out the horse head and flame nebula easily. With your EQ5 you should easily be able to go up to 200mm without any guiding but the longer focal lengths will come at an increased cost.

3 hours ago, bosun21 said:

He has an EQ5 pro 

My bad. Should be an even easier task then. Samyang primes do appear within your budget if you're patient. You could also try old m42 mount lenses, you'll need an m42 to ef flanged adaptor, flanged so it keeps the aperture pin pressed in to keep the aperture blades open. Super takumars come highly recommended though haven't tried them yet.