SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stunning seeing tonight

Stu

Having had the solar scopes out today, I saw the Moon looking fabulous and switched the Herschel Wedge out for a diagonal and had a look. Starting off with the Morpheus 12.5mm it looked pretty good, so I swapped out for what I thought was a 4mm TOE.

Wow, that was quite impressive, a very stable image at really high power, somewhat more than I expected. Reaching into the case for the 3.4mm HR, I didn’t think it would take any more, so I was a bit surprised when the mag went down not up. Yep, you guessed it, I had put the 2.5mm TOE in by mistake.

Switching back to it the image was amazing, not surprising at x296, very stable seeing with just a hint of a wave running across every now and then. Best I’ve seen for quite some time.

I’ve now put the LZOS out to cool to see how it performs under decent conditions. Back inside now watching something on TV, back out in 45 mins to see how it’s going. Hopefully the seeing will hold up.

Lots of great features on show, Rupus Recta, the Appenine Mountains, Hadley Rille, Thor’s Hammer, plus plenty more. The lovely little chain of craters in Deslandres was very clear too.

• Like 9

Great seeing especially earlier around 10 O'clock with the moon higher. I thought I had a chance with the Alpine valley rille in the 8.5'' Dob but no, it's a tough one.

Still, happy to see Rima Birt, some of the Triesnecker rilles and Hadley rille.

David

Edited by davidc135
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, davidc135 said:

I thought I had a chance with the Alpine valley rille in the 8.5'' Dob but no, it's a tough one.

The illumination isn't favourable. It's better when coming from the other direction. Parts of it were there tonight in the 12" - but not easy.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, davidc135 said:

Still, happy to see Rima Birt, some of the Triesnecker rilles and Hadley rille.

Those were highlights for me too. Hadley Rille was a bit obscured by shadow, I’ve seen it better but the visible parts were excellent. Good to see the Treisnecker rilles, not caught them for quite a while.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kon said:

I agree, it is extremely stable tonight. Take a look at Regiomontanus and Walther. In my 8" Dob i am resolving the very small craters inside the main one.

Yes, had a look at those in the LZOS, very nice.

3 hours ago, Kon said:

I agree, it is extremely stable tonight. Take a look at Regiomontanus and Walther. In my 8" Dob i am resolving the very small craters inside the main one.

Its nutty apparently there was a huge jet stream over the UK. Makes you wonder how unreliable the forecasts are.

Edited by neil phillips

4 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Its nutty apparently there was a huge jet stream over the UK. Makes you wonder how unreliable the forecasts are.

I guess they got it wrong, was amazing here.

34 minutes ago, Stu said:

I guess they got it wrong, was amazing here.

Ive seen this before When they have been wrong. Just wondering how they can get it so wrong. It wasnt a small jet stream on the edges of certain areas. But a huge bright red one over large areas of the UK. 

I was clouded out unfortunately. Will be interesting to see what happens tonight apparently the jet stream is moving out of the way. 

Edited by neil phillips

5 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Even sat24 was showing thin clouds all over UK. How is that possible, it's supposed to be satellite images.

9 hours ago, Stu said:

Having had the solar scopes out today, I saw the Moon looking fabulous and switch the Herschel Wedge out for a diagonal and had a look. Starting off with the Morpheus 12.5mm it looked pretty good, so I swapped out for what I thought was a 4mm TOE.

Wow, that was quite impressive, a very stable image at really high power, somewhat more than I expected. Reaching into the case for the 3.4mm HR, I didn’t think it would take any more, so I was a bit surprised when the mag went down not up. Yep, you guessed it, I had put the 2.5mm TOE in by mistake.

Switching back to it the image was amazing, not surprising at x296, very stable seeing with just a hint of a wave running across every now and then. Best I’ve seen for quite some time.

I’ve now put the LZOS out to cool to see how it performs under decent conditions. Back inside now watching something on TV, back out in 45 mins to see how it’s going. Hopefully the seeing will hold up.

Lots of great features on show, Rupus Recta, the Appenine Mountains, Hadley Rille, Thor’s Hammer, plus plenty more. The lovely little chain of craters in Deslandres was very clear too.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, which might be true, however, the words the imagers paint often sound like a struggle half the time.

I'm always struck by how much fun observation reports sound.  Fun isn't even the right word.  Joyful is probably better.  A little window of opportunity, a freak weather pattern, bringing perfect conditions that on a CMOS would be one of 100 light frames, but with an eyepiece is something else entirely.

I want to get into astrophotography but stuff like this has got me looking at eyepieces more than apos.  Fantastic read folks.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ratlet said:

I want to get into astrophotography but stuff like this has got me looking at eyepieces more than apos

Visual astronomy! It’s the future I tell you! 👍🤣

Seriously, you can’t beat the feeling of viewing this stuff with your own eyes.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

Very impressive images. Is that a hint of the Rille just south of Hadley? I couldn't see it last night despite pretty good seeing.

Malcolm

Yes, I think so. Within the limitations of my fat fingers, I’ve very roughly marked the sections I could see last night.

3BC2BC89-FA44-4675-9B41-A096E341F848.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ratlet said:

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, which might be true, however, the words the imagers paint often sound like a struggle half the time.

I'm always struck by how much fun observation reports sound.  Fun isn't even the right word.  Joyful is probably better.  A little window of opportunity, a freak weather pattern, bringing perfect conditions that on a CMOS would be one of 100 light frames, but with an eyepiece is something else entirely.

I want to get into astrophotography but stuff like this has got me looking at eyepieces more than apos.  Fantastic read folks.

Actually i have found (and for good reason ) the two seem to coincide quite well. in other words. When the images are stable. There is good seeing. And the observers report that also. Conversely when good seeing is reported by observers. The next morning there is lots of stable images. This is when the seeing is good across the UK. Sometimes you can get regional good seeing. Which complicates it somewhat. But you can often tell that is the case. As both the visual and imaging reports tend to vary quite a lot. 

The camera is also capable of picking up those fleeting moments. As is the eye. But again that makes perfect sense. Because cameras can detect seeing as fast as on average 125 to 250 images. views ( when looked back at frame by frame )  or captures. Every second. Plenty fast enough. I started off a visual astronomer with dobs planets galaxies the moon ect. But the eye is always used. no matter what field is being done.  Instead of looking down a eyepiece. You are looking on a screen. I don't think this really is ever just a imaging or visual consideration at all. Think EEVA for example. Both are being done visually at all times. If one was to present the positive for cameras. They often can pickup detail live on screen. That the eye completely misses through eyepiece alone. Stu having two scopes setup. is the perfect environment to test this. But i have seen the effect quite strongly over the years. Especially with faint planetary detail. 

I still do both. Both can be very enriching to ones life. And can compliment each other. There is moments that i have caught. That at some point i will get made into large prints. Of good seeing nights. Capturing the moment in stunning hi resolution never lost to just memory. To relive again and again. Both fields can be enjoyed. . No one can ever try to convince me of the benefits of visual astronomy. As i have done it for years. And will continue to do so. But imaging is the reverse to this i have found. 

I often see people talk themselves away from trying imaging. But neither is some kind of competition. Both fields are important to many, and have much worth to both visual and imaging astronomy alike. Visual astronomers can and do enjoy imaging. Even if its just dabbling. I notice Stu having a interest in capturing the moment quite a lot. And have been trying to encourage him. to improve hes technique.  i feel he may enjoy it. But of course that's for him to decide. If that's true or not. But no one is harmed by encouragement.  It can sometimes be a natural progression. Many beginners start out just visual. But over the years start to see worth in both. The old saying dont knock it until you have tried it. I understand its not for everyone. For various reasons. But many could be surprised how both fields actually can compliment each other very nicely.  In the summer i plan to use my bresser 127 l with a 2" diagonal and eyepiece for some warm summer visual astronomy. I find it relaxing. More so in the summer. ( i dont like 0 temps )

I know imagers who have gave up. And went back to just visual. I dont know of many visual astronomers who gave up. And did just imaging.

The eyes are never out of the equation. No matter what people enjoy. 

Heads up jet stream moving out of the way. There should be good seeing tonight. And the moon is high. Thinking about it logically. I suspect the jet stream moved off a lot earlier than was predicted. As can be seen by Stu and others reports. I also noticed a very stable calm blue sky this morning. Seems to indicate the forecasters got the forecast a little off time wise. I believe explains the difference.  Its very sunny at the moment looks like good seeing tonight also i reckon. Be interesting to see if that changes. But i dont think so. I am predicting good seeing both now and tonight. 

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1