Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Squid and Bat after 6 hours with RASA8 - data revisited and revised

gorann

This was one of my first images using the RASA 8 and ASI2600MC combo, with an IDAS NBX (dual band Ha+Oiii) filter back in November 2020. It gave me a lot of encourageing feed-back including from Olly @ollypenrice who liked it so much that he used it as an example in Astronomy Now on how the new colour CMOS cameras (and RASA) could could be game changers astrophotography. Nevertheless, I now realized that I was a bit shy on bringing out what was in the data, especially in the Ha signal of the Bat nebula. So now when clouded in, I had another go at it, bringing out more of everything, especially Ha from this modest 6 hours of data, on something that has been regarded as a very very faint and challenging object.

Cheers, Göran

20201119-22 Squid RASAdualband PS36smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 17

• gorann changed the title to The Squid and Bat after 6 hours with RASA8 - data revisited and revised
32 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Wow, I never thought I would be grateful for clouds but they have played a part in a beautiful image there Göran 🙂 
I love this target and that is a great rendition of the squid in all its glory.

Steve

Thanks Steve, much appreciated! It may clear up here tomorrow night so I may temporarily stop recycling old stuff....

• Haha 1

Most impressive gorann.  

I've taken over 14 hours worth of data on this subject since you last posted it, and my result looks fairly pitiful. My f6.3 FLT98 just isn't fast enough. :(. Most were taken with a partial moon around which wouldn't have helped, so I'll wait for moonless nights before adding any more. Can't give up now after spending so much time on it. 🙂

Alan 

Well, wow! 😁

I like the little reflection nebula as well.

The only downside to the very hard stretch, in imaging, is that it can come at the expense of local contrast. In this case the Bat has a more 'filled in middle' than your softer stretch, as I remember it.  Always a balancing act, of course.

Olly

• Like 1

9 hours ago, symmetal said:

Most impressive gorann.  

I've taken over 14 hours worth of data on this subject since you last posted it, and my result looks fairly pitiful. My f6.3 FLT98 just isn't fast enough. :(. Most were taken with a partial moon around which wouldn't have helped, so I'll wait for moonless nights before adding any more. Can't give up now after spending so much time on it. 🙂

Alan 

Thanks a lot Alan! As you say, you just have to keep going and avoid any moonlight.

Good luck!, Göran

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Well, wow! 😁

I like the little reflection nebula as well.

The only downside to the very hard stretch, in imaging, is that it can come at the expense of local contrast. In this case the Bat has a more 'filled in middle' than your softer stretch, as I remember it.  Always a balancing act, of course.

Olly

Thanks a lot Olly! I think I see what you mean so I now did some slight adjustments to the curves, including the red one. Better?

Cheers, Göran

20201119-22 Squid RASAdualband PS37smallSign.jpg

• Like 4