Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader OIII filters for visual?

12 hours ago, Louis D said:

Is the red Hα?  You'll have to compare visually to see if it shows up at all to the human eye with the UHC filter.

The Astronomik UHC filter passes all wavelengths above 640nm, so some of the red will be Hα but perhaps not all of it.

I never see colour when observing purely visually so the UHC filtered view is likely to be less impressive and the OIII filtered view less green. I'm thinking that given the additional structure visible with the OIII filter, that may make this filter the best one to use for pure visual. I'll post again on this thread when I've had a chance to try.

The EEVA images I posted are all from a 72 mm APO by the way. 72mm seems to be enough aperture for EEVA. I've read that EEVA has the same effect as trebling the scope aperture and I can now believe that. I'm switching to the Skymax 127 today to see how EEVA works with that.

• Like 1

Spent some quality time on the Veil nebula  last night with my 10” Dob (East NGC 6992 and  West NGC 6995) - compared both UHC and Baader O-III. looked Incredible with O-III in place - really popped compared to with UHC (which was still impressive).  Lots of detail and clarity showing on the two brightest arcs of this target with their interconnecting stands of the nebulosity. Fantastic visually, especially with the O-III  

On M57 the difference was marked between the two filters - O-III providing a much greater contrast and “blacker” Sky, with apparently brighter ring, but it was hard to say this view was any “better” than UHC or even no filter at all on this particular target, given its clarity against the sky anyway. Others mileage may vary. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Astro_Dad said:

Spent some quality time on the Veil nebula  last night with my 10” Dob (East NGC 6992 and  West NGC 6995) - compared both UHC and Baader O-III. looked Incredible with O-III in place - really popped compared to with UHC (which was still impressive).  Lots of detail and clarity showing on the two brightest arcs of this target with their interconnecting stands of the nebulosity. Fantastic visually, especially with the O-III  

On M57 the difference was marked between the two filters - O-III providing a much greater contrast and “blacker” Sky, with apparently brighter ring, but it was hard to say this view was any “better” than UHC or even no filter at all on this particular target, given its clarity against the sky anyway. Others mileage may vary. 

Found the same here. Pushing mag did more than ultrablock on the ring for me.