Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Triple shootout on Luna (ETX125, Vixen 102M & CZ TM2)

After this test session, I managed to set up all 3 scopes (all old beauties) to look at the moon.  Seeing not great (high cloud - eventually rain was going to come...and it did...so I had to be quick).  But since the point was to do a comparison under similar conditions, figured it might be interesting to see what was revealed.

I set up the deforked ETX125 w an 18.2mm (so c 104x), the Vixen w a 9mm (111x) & the TM2 with a 10mm orthodox (84x) - so roughly similar levels of magnification.  The ETX & TM2 were on an old EZtouch alt-az rigged up for dual scoping (AZ75 style😂), the Vixen on an old SP mount.

Well.

The Vixen was the best of the bunch!  The ETX ran it v v close - the Vixen seemed j-u-s-t a tad sharper on the smallest discernible features, but I don't know whether that might be the slightly higher magnification also making it easier to see them.  (I also used a prism diagonal on the Vixen vs a mirror on the ETX so not sure whether that also have been a factor).  But the ETX v v close to the Vixen & surprisingly sharp (based on what is typically said about central obstruction & sharpness)- and ofc not a trace of colour on the limb.  The ETX was also slightly brighter.  It really was a neck & neck contest.

The poor little CZJ (words I never thought I'd find myself saying) was left playing catchup.  I think that was really down to aperture - it could not compete on resolution of smaller features.  So perhaps that's not a fair comparison.

This does now though leave a slight predicament as I have to choose one between the ETX & the Vixen - cannot justify keeping both.  Maybe it should be the TM2 that goes🤨.  Dilemma.  

<EDIT: maybe this should be in the Discussion - Scopes section rather than the Observing section - will leave it to the mods discretion!>

Edited by vineyard
  • Like 1

Yes there are definite subjective biases towards each scope.  Based on performance alone (resolution + sharpness), the Vixen yet again stood up - its remarkable for such an old achromat.  Its just so long - I've been researching CaK imaging and an f10 achromat is also v well suited for that so that's another plus for it.  But the ETX was so surprising - & is so much more portable (add it to a fast wide-field like a 76mm and its a perfect travel pair) - I want to see how the ETX performs w some Baader solar film in front & maybe on Jupiter too later this season.

The poor old TM2.  But its mount is buttery smooth - the best I've ever used - and there's just something nice about using old 0.96 EPs.  I will sit on the decision for a bit - the ETX is so small maybe I can hide it!😂  But if someone was to force me to pick right now, I'd say the TM2 is most surplus 😯😱

• Like 1

You could try some reverse psychology by suggesting you sell all three scopes to save space, but you'd need to spend quite a bit to afford a scope that will do everything the three will. But then emphasise the space it would free up, and add something that I say each time I buy a new scope - "It will be the only scope I'll ever need, honest!"  You never know it may work! 

• Haha 4

18 hours ago, vineyard said:

This does now though leave a slight predicament as I have to choose one between the ETX & the Vixen - cannot justify keeping both.  Maybe it should be the TM2 that goes🤨.  Dilemma.

What's the predicament? You determined the Vixen to be the  best, so sell the others. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Vixen 102m on SP mount hands down. Absolutely cracking traditional achromatic refractor. Japanese quality throughout and if a touch of false colour on the brighter stuff is a bother, there are filters that really workI use a Baader contrast booster with my Vixen achros and apart from high magnification stuff, they give my ED refractors a run for their money. 

I am a self-confessed Vixen nut by the way.🤣

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Franklin said:

Vixen 102m on SP mount hands down. Absolutely cracking traditional achromatic refractor. Japanese quality throughout and if a touch of false colour on the brighter stuff is a bother, there are filters that really workI use a Baader contrast booster with my Vixen achros and apart from high magnification stuff, they give my ED refractors a run for their money. 

I am a self-confessed Vixen nut by the way.🤣

Oh that's interesting re the contrast booster.  Yes that combo 102M+SP just works.  Did Vixen ever make wooden tripods, bc that would be the cherry on top. I think the Vixen is safe.😃

7 hours ago, vineyard said:

Did Vixen ever make wooden tripods

They did make wooden tripods back in the pre AL-130/ HAL-130 days and now the SXG. All very good tripods but not wood. Vixen must have still made short wooden tripods for mounting newtonians on upto 2010 because my GP2 from around that time came supplied with one. I also had a Vixen 4" achro mounted on a fork type alt-az with a nice tall wooden tripod in the late 80's, white trim and a white tray. Another one I wish I'd never moved on.

• Like 1

That's interesting @Franklin - something to keep an eye out for then.  My setup is with an AL-130 & that is the weakest link (mostly because to keep it solid and stable I have to tighten the bolts once the legs are out, and then it's good, but then I have to untighten them to store it away, which can be a bit of a faff - unless there's a tweak I can do to improve that!).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vineyard said:

I have to tighten the bolts once the legs are out, and then it's good, but then I have to untighten them to store it away

I know what you mean. I had an AL-150 with an SP mount and it was the same. What I did was loosen off the bolts and apply some lithium grease to the insides of the tripod tops, where they contact the tripod hub. Made it a lot easier for closing up when tightened. Teflon washers/shims would also improve it as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Franklin said:

Maybe a used Berlebach with a GP top. I know they're not cheap but they're very good and they do come up now and again.

That would be nice!  I actually have an old GP top but its the wooden legs that are missing 😕

On 09/04/2022 at 17:56, mikeDnight said:

You could try some reverse psychology by suggesting you sell all three scopes to save space, but you'd need to spend quite a bit to afford a scope that will do everything the three will. But then emphasise the space it would free up, and add something that I say each time I buy a new scope - "It will be the only scope I'll ever need, honest!"  You never know it may work! 

You must be a clairvoyant @mikeDnight - there's Roger Vine's AP 130EDT f8 just listed on UKABS - you reckon that would fly?😂

• Haha 2