Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

From Cepheus to Ursa Major

This was a two panel commissioning mosaic for the widefield rig I've been setting up while my scope is out for repair, showcasing the vast array of dust across the northern celestial pole. With galaxy season in full swing and a massive FoV like this what else was I supposed to image?

The rig is based around the Sigma Art 40mm and QHY 268M, with images taken at f/2.8.

Total exposure time of 27 hours taken across the clear spell we had at the end of March.

image.thumb.jpeg.de126ee146275bdf26dd58ed4a4c0d83.jpeg

A solved version can be seen below, showing the extent of this field.

image.thumb.jpeg.3550d17262d1a643c44aa09caa8f6ecd.jpeg

Cheers

Edited just now by Spongey

Edited by Spongey
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Laurin Dave said:

Amazing stuff Rob...   so many objects to look at so worth zooming in to take a look.  Any chance you can post an annotated version?

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Unfortunately I'm struggling to get an accurate platesolve on the image, I think because it's such a wide field. Even the Astrometry.net solver drops off in accuracy significantly once you move away from the centre...

http://nova.astrometry.net/annotated_full/6357573 

Any advice would be most welcome! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Laurin Dave said:

Amazing stuff Rob...   so many objects to look at so worth zooming in to take a look.  Any chance you can post an annotated version?

Dave

Managed to get a half decent solve after generating a reference starfield and using the ManualImageSolver script! Annotated version included into the OP 

• Thanks 2