Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Webb Society Deep Sky Handbook Double stars query

I have a copy of the Webb Society Deep Sky Observers Handbook Vol 1 Double Stars that I got a while back, and in its listing of doubles stars in the lists contained in the book it has a column called Date, which from what I can see list figures between approx 40.00 to around at maximum up to 80.00. For example STF 3062 in its list of double stars has its separate components listed with Date 43.68, 45.19 and 45.86. Is this referring to a date when these where observed, and if so what is the format used to work out this date? Or is this something else entirely? Nowhere in the book can I see where this Date column is explained or mentioned.

Any help greatly appreciated! 👍🏻

Edited by Knighty2112

OK, it looks like the 1st two whole digits refer to the year of observation, so in my example for STF 3062 they where observed in 1943 and 1945. So the fractional part after the decimal point must refer to the date when observed. So my question is how do I work out this fractional bit? 🤔

Any ideas anyone? 🧐

Edited by Knighty2112

14 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Glad you've sorted it out Gus!  Just thought I'd say something so that you didn't feel you were out on your own in the wilderness!  😉

Cheers,

Doug.

Cheers Doug. It was getting a bit echoey here! ;) 

• Like 1