Narrowband

GREAT NEWS FOR SOLAR OBSERVERS!

paulastro

The latest news from spaceweather.com is potentially great news for all solar observers.  Solar activity is accelerating past the predictions for the current solar cycle.  

Fingers crossed, if it keeps on going like this we could be in for a real treat 😊.

2126818602_Screenshot_20220405-175431_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.e48b70b281bcc64a2e7dc7aa6b47f469.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Paul, good to see.
I have to say my initial thought was Oh God another graph, seen to many of them in recent years!

Then my next reaction is good, but will it peak early?
or will it peak higher and longer?
Time will tell of course

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Thanks Paul, good to see.
I have to say my initial thought was Oh God another graph, seen to many of them in recent years!

Then my next reaction is good, but will it peak early?
or will it peak higher and longer?
Time will tell of course

Who knows Alan, but it will be great to see it all unfold.  Thats what I like about solar, in WL and HA, you never know what's going to happen next 🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

It certainly has really got going over the last couple of weeks.  Interesting to see a lot of the activity nearer the Poles than i remember when i first started imaging.

As shown on the "butterfly" diagram on this page. NASA's Cosmos (tufts.edu)

Great link - thanks for posting it! 👍👍

• Like 2

Very interesting. The last time I read about the progression of the new cycle I think the conclusion was that activity wasn’t necessarily higher than predicted, but that Cycle 25 had just started earlier than expected - hence why we were seeing activity rise above the curve. But this suggests that both might be happening! A great summer ahead. Thanks for posting Paul.

• Like 2

On 06/04/2022 at 07:21, skybadger said:

There was a contradictory prediction that expected a very strong max this cycle. It would be good to compare the current activity curve with that prediction. If only I could find it again. 

Some info here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cycle_25

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/12/19/solar-cycle-prediction-mcintosh/?outputType=amp

Was it the National Center for Atmospheric Research you were thinking about? Predicted a strong cycle, 233 sunspots.

• Like 1

On 06/04/2022 at 16:14, Highburymark said:

Very interesting. The last time I read about the progression of the new cycle I think the conclusion was that activity wasn’t necessarily higher than predicted, but that Cycle 25 had just started earlier than expected - hence why we were seeing activity rise above the curve. But this suggests that both might be happening! A great summer ahead. Thanks for posting Paul.

Yes, it is intriguing. It does seem to be a steeper curve rather than necessarily started earlier, so hopefully it’s a good sign for a great few years 👍

• Like 1

Yes, our nearest star is certainly performing better than expected. I even managed to capture a lovely Calcium II K prominence in March. Managed to capture some more a few days ago. These were very rare as they usually are fairly diffuse and less pronounced than in hydrogen alpha. 

PSX_20220408_190501.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Yes, our nearest star is certainly performing better than expected. I even managed to capture a lovely Calcium II K prominence in March. Managed to capture some more a few days ago. These were very rare as they usually are fairly diffuse and less pronounced than in hydrogen alpha. 

PSX_20220408_190501.jpg

That is a beautiful image Nigella.  Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/04/2022 at 23:10, Stu said:

Some info here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cycle_25

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/12/19/solar-cycle-prediction-mcintosh/?outputType=amp

Was it the National Center for Atmospheric Research you were thinking about? Predicted a strong cycle, 233 sunspots.

That looks like it. I'd like to know why there is such a difference in basis for the prediction. But it is a big difference. 

23 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

PSX_20220408_190501.jpg

Wonderful image Nigella!

• Thanks 1