Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC443 Jellyfish Nebula

I can't say I am over happy with this image, but due to cloud cover is all I have to show for 2022 so far 🙂 
I have struggled a bit with processing it and bringing out any OIII data, which was very feint.
I did not process it in the SHO as I did not want the majority of it green so it is HSO.

As I say I am not real happy with how I have processed this and my data was not the best, so will process again and intend to try imaging it again next time it comes back into view and get some improved data.
Nebula captured with Hydrogen Alpha, Oxygen III and Sulphur II, then captured stars with Red, Green & Blue filters

Data taken over 3 relatively clear nights (rare events in Yorkshire) January to February 2022.
Processed in PI using StarXTerminator to remove stars from NB data and later replace with the RGB stars.

Nebula
Ha 400S X20
SII 400S X18
OIII 400S X30

For Stars
RGB 60S X20

Image211.thumb.jpg.c36fceeeb21041a255e4f56f3bd5d0f4.jpg

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 11

Beautiful target. “Different” colors, I would say. But nice framing. I like it. 
I’ve tried this target early this year, though Propus produced weird reflections somewhere along my optical train. Sad. 

Edited by barbulo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, carastro said:

A really good result Steve.  Love the colours.  
carole

Thanks Carole, I wasn't too sure, I wanted it to look red as on the RGB data there is a fair bit of red and little else but couldn't get the main nebulosity to look red and an awful lot of purple began to creep in.

1 hour ago, glafnazur said:

Wow love the colours :) 

Many thanks 🙂 

14 minutes ago, Dave scutt said:

Really nice image, I would be very happy if I could ever produce something like that 

Thank you so much.
It takes time but a couple of years ago I always thought the same as yourself when I saw images in SGL and whilst I can now produce decent images, from time to time, I still have a way to go to get anywhere near what some of the members on here can achieve.
I think, that I am never fully satisfied with my results and it seems that many imagers are also very critical of their results which is maybe just part of the attraction so no matter what you can achieve I think the aim is to just keep improving. Sometimes I guess location is a big factor in the results with darks skies everything becomes so much easier.

Steve

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Thanks 🙂 
It;s good just to get something processed, so far for me not had too many clear nights this year.

Steve

That’s a shame, I feel like I have had the best couple of months for a few years….which is good for us here in the midlands….👍🏼

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

That’s a shame, I feel like I have had the best couple of months for a few years….which is good for us here in the midlands….👍🏼

Yes I think some parts of UK have done well, which is good.
A lot comes down to me needing to get some sort of pier or obsy done as there has been a few partially clear nights but not all night and often raining by the morning so often either packed up early as I dare not leave my gear out and also some nights not bothered as my gear is pretty heavy and often by the time its out and aligned the clouds roll in.
I live in hope better days to come at end of the year 🙂 

Steve

4 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Yes I think some parts of UK have done well, which is good.
A lot comes down to me needing to get some sort of pier or obsy done as there has been a few partially clear nights but not all night and often raining by the morning so often either packed up early as I dare not leave my gear out and also some nights not bothered as my gear is pretty heavy and often by the time its out and aligned the clouds roll in.
I live in hope better days to come at end of the year 🙂 

Steve

That was my issue for the last few years, just not wanting to set it all up, but after building my Astro shed, it takes 40 seconds to be up and running, I know everyone says it, but it was the best thing I ever did…and now I get the most out of this hobby…👍🏼

• Like 2

3 hours ago, barbulo said:

Beautiful target. “Different” colors, I would say. But nice framing. I like it. 
I’ve tried this target early this year, though Propus produced weird reflections somewhere along my optical train. Sad. 

Yes it does make this target difficult to process, that and Tejat were a real pain n the processing. I had some halos on all of NB data and OII halos were horrendous. I managed to reduce them but they are far from perfect.

Steve

• Like 1

I think your OIII is working beautifully to bring out what is a very faint outer shell, often missed by imagers doing this target. I know the OIII features are not 'in your face' but I really think they lift the target. The colour variety is good. Mine is in LRGB with Ha and OIII and, apart from the OIII shell, the rest of the nebulosity is very samey in colour. I might ease off on the saturation, though!

Olly

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I think your OIII is working beautifully to bring out what is a very faint outer shell, often missed by imagers doing this target. I know the OIII features are not 'in your face' but I really think they lift the target. The colour variety is good. Mine is in LRGB with Ha and OIII and, apart from the OIII shell, the rest of the nebulosity is very samey in colour. I might ease off on the saturation, though!

Olly

Thanks you Olly, that means a lot.
i intend to go though the processing again and will reduce the saturation a bit 🙂 

Steve