SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eyepiece dew on inside - servicing/ cleaning

chrispj

Does anyone know of a company/ person offering eyepiece servicing/ restoration in the UK?

During the winter I had one night's observing with particularly heavy dew. Since then my beloved (2ndhand) Pentax XW10 has suffered from what appears to be stains from dried dew drops inside the eyepiece - repeated cleaning of outside front and back lenses with BWF has failed to make any difference and under bright light the surfaces appear clear. 

This doesn't affect views against dark targets but looking at the moon or other bright views (eg daytime) it is very noticeable with the view is littered with numerous small dark specks and distortions. I've tried but failed to take any photos showing the problem as my cameras won't focus close enough....

So, anyway, as above, is there an official service center for Pentax or does anyone know a company/ individual able to take on disassembling and cleaning the inside surfaces?

Thanks all!

One option is to get something like these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09F31VCT6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and do it yourself ?

Otherwise, Viking over this side of the country offer servicing of astro stuff, but you'd need to post it I suppose:

https://www.vikingopticalcentres.co.uk/service-support/

stu

• Like 1

That's an interesting idea. I'm usually keen to have a go but I must admit I'd like some clear instructions before I'd be happy to take the XW to pieces,  there doesn't seem any obvious features to use the spanner on!

Pentax eyepieces are supposed to be weatherproof to protect against this very problem.  You might want to check with Pentax Europe first.  Here's their warranty in the US:

PENTAX

THE PENTAX "WORRY FREE" WARRANTY

The PENTAX "Worry-Free" Warranty is available on all PENTAX Sport Optics products purchased in the United States, on or after March 1, 2006, from an authorized PENTAX Sport Optics dealer.

PENTAX Sport Optics products are of the highest optical and mechanical quality. If your PENTAX Binocular, Spotting Scope or Riflescope purchased in the USA from an authorized PENTAX Sport Optics dealer requires repair, PENTAX will repair or replace it to the original purchaser (even if damaged by fault) for a charge of $19.95, to cover handling and return shipping.* This warranty does not cover cosmetic damage, theft or loss. (Replacement may be with comparable model at PENTAX's discretion if the original model is no longer available.)

*Applies only to unmodified equipment or product with modifications performed by authorized PENTAX repair personnel.

Thanks all,  I'll investigate with the Pentax service centre in the UK in the first instance and see what they say. I bought the eyepiece 2ndhand so they're unlikely to honour any warranty.