SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

C8 with Celestron focal reducer. Thinking of a Crayford Focuser.

Hi all

Long time lurker first time post :)

I have an 8se on a heq5 pro with a celestron .63 focal reducer. I love the scope but not a fan of the focuser. As I have a skywatcher mount the celestron motor focuser isnt an option as I don't always want to bring a laptop/astroberry unit out with me to control it.

So I am thinking of getting a crayford like this one https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-focusers/dual-speed-2-crayford-focuser-for-sct-telescopes.html. I just wanted to check that I wouldnt run into any issues. I only have 1.25" eyepieces so that also may be important. I am a visual observer mostly. Is it compatible with my setup with the focal reducer? I am not aware of any problems but always best to check .

Thank you all

18 hours ago, John Beer said:

Hi all

Long time lurker first time post :)

I have an 8se on a heq5 pro with a celestron .63 focal reducer. I love the scope but not a fan of the focuser. As I have a skywatcher mount the celestron motor focuser isnt an option as I don't always want to bring a laptop/astroberry unit out with me to control it.

So I am thinking of getting a crayford like this one https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-focusers/dual-speed-2-crayford-focuser-for-sct-telescopes.html. I just wanted to check that I wouldnt run into any issues. I only have 1.25" eyepieces so that also may be important. I am a visual observer mostly. Is it compatible with my setup with the focal reducer? I am not aware of any problems but always best to check .

Thank you all

Hi John Beer,

I have used a similar focuser from GSO on my 11" CPC. This one should work with the 8SE but to use the 0.63 reducer you will need a 2" to SCT converter like this. You may have to check if the 8SE has enough backfocus to use it with your diagonal though.

Best

Edited by beka
typo

For the information on this site it looks like the back focus should be okay but you will have a slightly longer focal length and correspondingly higher focal ratio (about f11 without the reducer).

Best

Thank you guys, appreicate the help. I ended up ordering one. Guy I spoke to said should be fine for visual use. If not I will look at the converter noted above. Again thank your for your help.