SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher ED120 PRO Comments

Hi,

I would welcome any views regarding the optical performance of the newer version of the Skywatcher ED120. Any users, in particular visual observers comments would be gratefully received

Regards

Adrian

Hi Adrian, i have the Equinox 120 pro and must say that its a superb scope, really sharp images and next to no false colour. I only use it for visual at the moment myself but from what comments I`ve read I think you would be well pleased with its performance.

Regards

Mike

Mike

Many thanks for the reply, it sounds like you are very pleased with the performance of your Equinox. Am I right in assuming it is around f7?

Regards

Adrian

Hi Adrian, yes I have to say that I`m very pleased with it, being quite new to the game it was quite an expensive outlay but was well woth it, plus it looks superb in the gloss black, and to answer your original question its an f7.5.

Mike

Mike

Thanks, I had been looking at the longer fl version, but I am adding the Equinox to my list. Sales folk have been very helpful but the views of actual users are most helpful. I am looking for a refractor of this sort of aperture to mount alongside my longer fl Maksutov Cassegrain.

Best wishes

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

As you can see from my sig I have one myself.

Superb scope, clean crisp views, pin point stars, virtually no CA - only times I have seen it are on very bright objects low on the horizon - diagonal or EP not seated correctly or on some EPs my own eye needs to be aligned correctly to the optical axis.

Dual speed focuser is good, nice case and accessories.

Quick cooldown, low weight so easily carried and set up .

I think to better this refractor so you would notice, you need to pay a hell of a lot more.

It is a keeper for me.

pete

Pete

Many thanks, you are clearly pleased with the scope and you comments are very helpful. Can I ask what the edge of field definition is like in medium power eyepieces?

Regards

Adrian

Pete

Many thanks, you are clearly pleased with the scope and you comments are very helpful. Can I ask what the edge of field definition is like in medium power eyepieces?

Regards

Adrian

I think that would depend on the quality of the eyepiece rather than the scope Adrian.

I've not had the pleasure of using an ED120 myself (although I have owned an ED100 and several ED80's) but the reception that this scope has had, even on the other side of the Atlantic where there is some scepticsm about Chinese doublet ED scopes, is very positive indeed.

The smaller ED's that I owned were excellent scopes by any standard and superb for what they cost. I used them with a variety of wide field eyepieces (from low cost to high cost) and the only aberrations that I could detect were down to the eyepieces rather than the scopes.

John

John

Many thanks for your response, your input is useful in my somewhat slow decision making process! The comments about the smaller ED’s are also very interesting.

I agree that the eyepiece will be a factor although I think less so at medium power, assuming a reasonable quality ocular, hence the reference in the question. Conversely a high quality eyepiece will make little difference at the edge of the field if the OG has aberrations.

So I would be very interested to hear views from ED 120 users about edge of field definition at medium powers? It would be useful to know with which eyepieces combination as well?

All views gratefully received.

Best wishes

Adrian

As regard EPs I got a set of the revelation plossls, and the worked fine right to the edge, where they did fall down was when I got my 10" F/4 SNT and because of its low focal ratio the revelations just didn't cut the mustard.

So I bought secondhand a 15mm and 20mm Televue plossls and they work much better......but when I did a side by side comparison on the 120ED the difference between them was, to my eyes, very close, yes the TV's were a bit cleaner at the edge but at a much greater cost than the benefit in the 120ED.

Pete

Thanks for the information. I can see that the 10" F4 would be less forgiving on some eyepieces. I also agree the TV plossls are pretty good I have pairs of 20's and 30's for binoviewing and have been impresed by the their consistent performance. From your description of the eps in the SW 120 its sounds like the OG of the scope delivers a pretty flat field. Thanks again fore you help, its really good to hear from users of kit prior to buying.

Regards

Adrian

Archived