SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Whirlpool Galaxy

Iem1

Afternoon guys,

I imaged M51 last night and managed ~x75 60 second subs, unfortunately I took a risk and tried to see just how stringent I needed to be with dithering to minimise the amount of time spent out in the cold/dark. I set a timer to manually dither every 25 minutes whilst shooting 1 minute subs, and if nothing else, I have learnt that is not enough to fend off walking noise :D 

So, after trying to save the image from both walking noise and what seems like a familiar light leak in the exact same position it always randomly appears in;

Heavy Crop (trying to run away from worst of light leak);

1710732032_M51(final)(2)(cropped).thumb.png.cf48bfa0fef73571086c1796fdc536a4.png

full size image

9685444_M51(final)(3).thumb.png.00f8b9125ade9de5c195e18fc4f10f8e.png

Really kicking myself for dithering less! But I am going to try and add more data, see if I can dilute the first 1 hour of data with properly dithered imaging sequences to phase out all that noise. The light leak is much more manageable in comparison.

I did take flats, but perhaps not well enough on this occasion.

But all issues aside, what a beautiful galaxy and DS target to image! I was also amazed at all the other galaxies I picked up in the image (barely indistinguishable from stars!)

Equipment used: WO Z73 430mm, Canon 600D, EQ6-R Pro, 60 second subs ISO 800 (unguided, looking at adding guiding very soon!)

The untouched tif if anyone wants to have a look, fairly tough to get an image from it given all the issues!

result.tif

• Like 6

Thanks for sharing. I'll go for galaxies the next night out (whenever that happens) with my Z61, so I thought I'd practise my new workflow with your image. I did the colour calibration and gradient elimination in Siril, then stretched it in Photoshop. It's true that there was a lot of noise, but working carefully with successive asinh stretches I managed to prevent it from dominating the background. A pass with the PS raw filter got rid of the remaining red pixels, though perhaps it's now too dark a background...

1048745554_Whirlpoolcolour2.thumb.jpg.caf28a615c81a5a30d43206d47fa377f.jpg

155655912_Whirlpoolcolour2crop.thumb.jpg.acda77f36373e8c6c017bcbc5b76d68b.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Felias said:

Thanks for sharing. I'll go for galaxies the next night out (whenever that happens) with my Z61, so I thought I'd practise my new workflow with your image. I did the colour calibration and gradient elimination in Siril, then stretched it in Photoshop. It's true that there was a lot of noise, but working carefully with successive asinh stretches I managed to prevent it from dominating the background. A pass with the PS raw filter got rid of the remaining red pixels, though perhaps it's now too dark a background...

1048745554_Whirlpoolcolour2.thumb.jpg.caf28a615c81a5a30d43206d47fa377f.jpg

155655912_Whirlpoolcolour2crop.thumb.jpg.acda77f36373e8c6c017bcbc5b76d68b.jpg

That looks great! 

Not the easiest of data to work with for sure :D

8 hours ago, Iem1 said:

That looks great! 

Not the easiest of data to work with for sure :D

Thanks. I'm used to this kind of noise, since I also have a Canon and can't normally spend more than three or four hours in the fields, so my SNR is pretty low. I deal with a dirty background and horizontal bands quite often! I've been thinking of buying a CMOS for the summer...