Revelation SCT focusser - okay or not?

Hi all,

I can't bring myself to pay over £320 for a Moonlite focusser for our 10" LX200 (which is soon to go a new EQ6 for imaging) and the Revelation one comes in at about a third that price. Much better! But is it okay? I will be using the f6.3 reducer pretty much all the time. Anyone tried it?

Olly

hi Olly

i am not a 100% up on these but the moonlight has the space inside it to accept the 6.3 reducer and the ability to keep the spacing to chip correct all of the time if i am not mistaken. I think the revelation version is the standard gso one which is cloned/re-badged by a few suppliers, i had one of these on a mak in the past, it was pretty good for the money but a moonlight it was not

The Revelation, Skywatcher etc. are bargains for the price. Not top of the range focusers, but still nice quality and very useable.

If you can stretch your budget a bit, the latest William Optics one (Linear-Power Focuser for SCT) is very good, and not that much more at £168.00 or so.

Then probably getting out of your budget there is the new Baader 2" SC Steeltrack Crayford focuser at £257.00, probably the best buy out there. In terms of build quality, smoothness and precision it's right up there in Feather Touch territory.

John

Oh thanks guys, that is great info! I didn't know about the WO job and will have a look. I just can't spend the Moonlite money on a scope that may not greatly outperform the Meade 127 refractor. The 127 doesn't have the focal length but it does have the sharpness and a cropped 127 image may not be far behind an uncropped SCT, hence my reluctance to go mad on focusers.

Thanks again,

Olly

Be warned Olly, I have the WO linear-power focuser on my 9.25" Celestron and am extremely happy with it. However it does NOT come to focus with the focal reducer (f6.3). I don't know if the same would apply with your LX200, but it is worth checking.

Dave

Archived