Narrowband

Books on astrophotography

StuartT

18 minutes ago, StuartT said:

Do any of you have good tips on astrophotography books?

I've bought a few AP books in the past and have passed them all on (on this forum) for nothing. The problem in my view is that they go out of date so quickly because the tools we can buy (hardware and especially software) move and develop at such a rate.

I am very much a 'book person' but I am now of the opinion that for AP the web is the best source for up to date information.

Apologies if this is not what you want to hear :( 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

I am very much a 'book person' but I am now of the opinion that for AP the web is the best source for up to date information.

yes, I totally see your point. Everything I have learned so far has been from forums. Maybe books really are redundant for this kind of thing.

• 1 month later...
On 30/03/2022 at 11:07, StuartT said:

Do any of you have good tips on astrophotography books? I have a reasonable level experience now, so I am not looking for a basic introductory text, but rather something more definitive and comprehensive.

How about this one? The Astrophotography Manual by Chris Woodhouse.

Suggestions welcome!

Thanks

I have Astrophotography by Thierry Legault. I don't know if you would consider that the appropriate level, but he is an engineer and discusses things in quite some depth.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mandy D said:

I have Astrophotography by Thierry Legault. I don't know if you would consider that the appropriate level, but he is an engineer and discusses things in quite some depth.

looks interesting. I didn't know about this one. Thanks Mandy

• Like 1

On 30/03/2022 at 11:07, StuartT said:

Do any of you have good tips on astrophotography books? I have a reasonable level experience now, so I am not looking for a basic introductory text, but rather something more definitive and comprehensive.

How about this one? The Astrophotography Manual by Chris Woodhouse.

Suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Obviously the much lauded Making Every Photon Count is the first port of call, but l suspect you've been at this long enough that you're beyond that now. 

I quite like (and often refer to) Mastering Pixinsight - it's written for all levels, so it can be quite basic in places, but some useful stuff in there nonetheless. Obviously it's focussed around PI, so not a great deal of use if that's not your bag, but I would imagine some stuff would be transferable to Siril.

• Thanks 1

I have found The Deep Sky Imaging Primer by Charles Bracken to be my goto refence book, very in depth explains why things are done rather than just what to do. Uses DSS and Photoshop for the examples. Book is roughly 50% image acquisition and 50% processing.  Highly recommended. 

• Thanks 1