Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skymax 127 gti az mount options

SFTS22

Hi guys

I am looking for a Goto type telescope that is fairly compact/portable that can be used ad hoc as and when I get time (if that's possible?) I have been looking at both the Sky-Watcher SkyMax-127 AZ GTi and the Sky-Watcher Skymax-127 Virtuoso GTi telescopes as options. 

Question is if I go for the standard Az gti is there an option if using a small standard mount that could enable the scope to be used on a table indoors for example? I think I prefer the idea of being able to pack the scope away when not in use as the virtuoso will always be sitting around somewhere taking up space.  

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Paul 

• Like 1

On 28/03/2022 at 23:36, SFTS22 said:

Hi guys

I am looking for a Goto type telescope that is fairly compact/portable that can be used ad hoc as and when I get time (if that's possible?) I have been looking at both the Sky-Watcher SkyMax-127 AZ GTi and the Sky-Watcher Skymax-127 Virtuoso GTi telescopes as options. 

Question is if I go for the standard Az gti is there an option if using a small standard mount that could enable the scope to be used on a table indoors for example? I think I prefer the idea of being able to pack the scope away when not in use as the virtuoso will always be sitting around somewhere taking up space.  

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Paul 

Hello Paul

I can't say much about the Virtuoso from personal experience, but in general I would say the AZ-GTi might be a more flexible/future proof option, although might take a little bit more time to get set up. 

Tabletop type mounts like the virtuoso will require a sturdy table or similar in your observing spot, whereas the AZ-GTi is supplied with its own tripod which I think should be okay for the Skymax 127, and can be more easily moved around to different observing spots or upgraded to a sturdier (or smaller) one if required. It also packs down pretty small as standard. I am able to pack my AZ-GTi and a 73mm scope plus eyepieces all into one backpack, with the tripod in a manfrotto tripod bag, which also makes it super portable. 

You mentioned about using the scope indoors - not totally sure what you mean? If you mean about using it through the windows of a conservatory or similar, in general you won't find this to be very successful as window glass is not good optically and will interfere with your views, amongst other things. 

There's also pretty healthy support community for the AZ-GTi here on SGL, see link below. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/04/2022 at 10:00, badhex said:

Hello Paul

I can't say much about the Virtuoso from personal experience, but in general I would say the AZ-GTi might be a more flexible/future proof option, although might take a little bit more time to get set up. 

Tabletop type mounts like the virtuoso will require a sturdy table or similar in your observing spot, whereas the AZ-GTi is supplied with its own tripod which I think should be okay for the Skymax 127, and can be more easily moved around to different observing spots or upgraded to a sturdier (or smaller) one if required. It also packs down pretty small as standard. I am able to pack my AZ-GTi and a 73mm scope plus eyepieces all into one backpack, with the tripod in a manfrotto tripod bag, which also makes it super portable. 

You mentioned about using the scope indoors - not totally sure what you mean? If you mean about using it through the windows of a conservatory or similar, in general you won't find this to be very successful as window glass is not good optically and will interfere with your views, amongst other things. 

There's also pretty healthy support community for the AZ-GTi here on SGL, see link below. 

Hi

firstly apologies for the delayed response, and many thanks for the response and feedback. 

I did decided to go for the az gti as you suggested due to the flexibility. Haven’t had a chance to test outdoors yet but hoping to get out there this weekend. 

and thanks for the link to the sub forum. 

thanks 

paul 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SFTS22 said:

Hi

firstly apologies for the delayed response, and many thanks for the response and feedback. 

I did decided to go for the az gti as you suggested due to the flexibility. Haven’t had a chance to test outdoors yet but hoping to get out there this weekend. 

and thanks for the link to the sub forum. 

thanks 

paul 

No worries! Have fun with your new mount - if you have any questions etc about the mount or need help getting started, the owners thread is a really good place to ask, loads of knowledgeable folks on there who will be able to help! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1