SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Asteroid Iris (7)

Stu

Just a short note, this asteroid seemed well placed when I checked for potential targets in SkySafari last night. At mag +9.8 it’s not the brightest, but I got on it with the Goto and then was able to identify it by matching star fields. It was amongst quite a few similar magnitude stars, but as always there were distinct patterns which made it clear after a few minutes of careful comparison.

It is in Gemini currently, heading towards Cancer which it will reach on about 22nd April, dropping slightly in magnitude to 10.3 in that time.

2684DB85-EE4D-46B4-9ADB-0EEC2069DF2D.png

5C8B4268-B324-46BF-8A9B-74B557D374CE.jpeg

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, IB20 said:

Love an asteroid observation. What scope and ep combo was this with @Stu

This was with the 130mm LZOS and 21mm Ethos. Quite doable with any kit that will reach down sufficiently below Mag 10 for it to be easily visible though of course.

• Like 1

Nice informative report!  I observed Iris at the beginning of January after one inital failure of realising that the objects data needed to be updated (in SkySafari) so I was looking in slightly the wrong place...  I believe I used the 120ST at that time.  It is easy to spot once you know exactly where to look... :)  I really would like to do some regular observations of various asteroids (unfortunately time is limited with so many different objects to observe!)

Edited by Davesellars