Jump to content

Stars_Banner.jpg.843f9de1cf2bdcd4b91ede4312ecf0ca.jpg

Fettling my Tal-100R


Dave_D
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey all, been a long time... new house... major refurbishment, but still a little bit of time to play astronomy (and soon, after far too many years, a permanent obsy).

Anyway, the old focuser on my 10" newt got damaged and the spindle snapped. Its still functional, but not when it's got a camera attached.

The focuser was a leaving present when i worked at Jodrell Bank so there's no way i'm going to get rid of it so thought i'd stick it on my Tal-100R.

Bit od 3D printing and an adaptor is in place. I's basically a tight push-fit so in order to align the focuser, I'm basically tapping it with a mallet lol

Once the laser is central, i'll glue the focuser to the adaptor.

Anyone see a problem with this. The Tal is for purely visual.

 

DSC_0650.JPG

DSC_0651.JPG

Using the old focuser with a cap where the objective would be.

DSC_0652.JPG

Edited by Dave_D
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Hello Dave 

I have just bought a Tal 100r, I am enquiring if you know if other diagonals than the original Tal supplied can be used.

The other issue being the use of non Tal Barlow lenses with the original diagonal, have you any information on this.

I am interested in how you have progressed with the change, and if it has been successfull. 

I have been directed to this thread by another member, and would like to know why you have made the change? 

Many thanks

Trevor 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Trevor PC said:

Hello Dave 

I have just bought a Tal 100r, I am enquiring if you know if other diagonals than the original Tal supplied can be used.

The other issue being the use of non Tal Barlow lenses with the original diagonal, have you any information on this.

I am interested in how you have progressed with the change, and if it has been successfull. 

I have been directed to this thread by another member, and would like to know why you have made the change? 

Many thanks

Trevor 

 

I've never seen another diagonal that could be used with the original focuser to be honest... it's an odd design, but at least it takes 1 1/4" eyepieces so i would assume any 1 1/4" barlow would work. The Tal diagonal though seems as good as any and I would assume it's up to the same standard as the rest of the optics.

As to the 'why', well, basically because i could :D 

It's been quite successful, focusing is far easier and accurate than with the original rack-and-pinion focuser, plus, i can check collimation with my glatter laser.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Dave

As always thanks for responding.

So you don't use it for astronomy any more, what did you do with the original focuser,  and you still use the original tripod.

And lastly did you have any light issues around the original baffles?

As always many thanks

Trevor 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Trevor PC said:

Hello Dave

As always thanks for responding.

So you don't use it for astronomy any more, what did you do with the original focuser,  and you still use the original tripod.

And lastly did you have any light issues around the original baffles?

As always many thanks

Trevor 

 

I've got the original focuser and EQ head stored away in case i find a use for them in the future. I'm still using the original tripod as it's great and stable with a Vixen GP head and eq5 upgrade  on it for my Tal 100R and OO 150mm scopes, I call it my Frankenstein mount lol

Can't say I've had any issues with the baffles

DSC_0884.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Dave

As always thanks for responding.

Looks like a very good setup, have you a photo of the original focuser you could share with me?

As always many thanks.

Trevor 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Trevor PC said:

Hello Dave

As always thanks for responding.

Looks like a very good setup, have you a photo of the original focuser you could share with me?

As always many thanks.

Trevor 

 

DSC_0885.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to jump on this how hard was it to align the focuser once you swapped it. I'm thinking of using a skywatcher dual focuser with mine I just need a adapter plate making do you think this would be easy to do please. 

Best Wishes 

Paul 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/07/2022 at 16:13, wookie1965 said:

Just to jump on this how hard was it to align the focuser once you swapped it. I'm thinking of using a skywatcher dual focuser with mine I just need a adapter plate making do you think this would be easy to do please. 

Best Wishes 

Paul 

it was actually quite easy, if you look at the last picture on my original post, i put the original focuser with a plastic cap on the tube at the objective end, then put my glatter laser into the new focuser without the diagonal and adjusted it to centre the laser in the plastic cap. i then did the same with the diagonal fitted and adjusted the alignment screws in the diagonal (thats why i like the Tal diagonal)

seems to work just fine.

of course i trust the accurace of my glatter laser.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Dave_D said:

it was actually quite easy, if you look at the last picture on my original post, i put the original focuser with a plastic cap on the tube at the objective end, then put my glatter laser into the new focuser without the diagonal and adjusted it to centre the laser in the plastic cap. i then did the same with the diagonal fitted and adjusted the alignment screws in the diagonal (thats why i like the Tal diagonal)

seems to work just fine.

of course i trust the accurace of my glatter laser.

Did you make the adapter plate yourself.?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Did you make the adapter plate yourself.?

yeah, it's literally just a push fit cylinder with a lip at one end so it can be pushed square into the tube.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Dave_D said:

yeah, it's literally just a push fit cylinder with a lip at one end so it can be pushed square into the tube.

 

If I get a focuser could you make me one I will pay for all materials and time, as you live not to far if you are agreeable I could pop down and if you didn't mind help me fit it please. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

If I get a focuser could you make me one I will pay for all materials and time, as you live not to far if you are agreeable I could pop down and if you didn't mind help me fit it please. 

i'm sure something could be arranged

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.