Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Smears or streaks on primary mirror of Maksutov 127

Last night I was observing something from my back garden and found out that their are smears/streaks on the primary mirror of my telescope, in fact I have seen this before cleaning it out by disassembling it. I found wipe marks from were I used my glasses wipes to clean the mirror which was not a good idea but just once it was done. Only used a few glasses wipes and then a cloth to clean it. This is only once I cleaned out my optics due to optical fungus in the OTA. As you can see their are these blue smudges or marks from where I wiped the mirror. Will this make any difference? I have taken photos with this problem and doesn't look like my images are affected. But will this affect it at the slightest?

516663101_IMG_1442(1).thumb.png.af5cd65e9ee010a6b457aea06b065af1.png

It shouldn't make any obvious difference to the performance but it would affect a sale.  The corrector looks as though it also needs a clean.  If you follow the tried and tested methods of cleaning in due course all should be well.       🙂

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

It shouldn't make any obvious difference to the performance but it would affect a sale.  The corrector looks as though it also needs a clean.  If you follow the tried and tested methods of cleaning in due course all should be well.       🙂

I already gave the telescope a clean weeks ago, like I said earlier it had those smears or whatever on there before cleaning, I was told that it only needs to be cleaned if necessary. If the dust gets very bad then that’s when it needs cleaning, but that’s not my case. So in conclusion is that I don’t need to clean my optics again, since like you said it shouldn’t affect any performance and I’m not even gonna sale my telescope. It is not to the point where it is very dusty and requires cleaning again. So hopefully from what advice I learned from you and others I might be right but correct me if I’m wrong.

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

If you follow the tried and tested methods of cleaning in due course all should be well.       🙂

My dad used a cloth to clean the optics and a glasses wipe which was not a good idea first hand and upon finishing up the optics were fine. There were bits of remaining dust on the mirrors but not enough to affect the image, what makes it unhelpful is shining a light through your lens which will make it look worse than it already is.

Edited by WilliamAstro