Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Starting imaging

What I have learned is to keep things as simple as is possible when starting out on the imaging trail.

It is a very Subjective Hobby, so find out what works for you to start. Point  Tripod North & level  Balance both Mount & Scope with accessories  Camera etc attached in place, I use a Telrad Finder

I dont use Calibration Frames at all, I dont Guide either. 

Use Sharpcap Pro for PA & collecting my data on the night, it does the lot really well so you can advance at your leisure learning the other great things it has to offer.

In Sharpcap Pro I do short 30 sec subs and lots of them at Gain 250 to 350 depending on conditions. Get the colours lined up on the Histogram, I dont use the display Histogram but check it is reset.

The ASI 533 pro is a great OSC Camera and with my 80mm refractor i can get enough Stars in the field to PA with Sharpcap.

I use my handset (still) 2 Star Align and find my target easily following Focus with a Bhatinov Mask, sometimes forget to return my mount to Home position after PA, goes Haywire lol.

My images end up decent.

Of course, if you want to get really good images then use Calibration Frames, PHD or equivalent to Guide, longer sub exposures and even Dither etc if you want.

Pixinsight seems to be the leader of the Pack in Post Processing, expensive to buy & steep learning curve to start but excellent by all accounts

The ASIair products are becoming popular but have hitches for some I have been reading, maybe if they brought it out for use with a Laptop then I may have a try.

Your own set up can determine what is the best set up & Capture method for you of course.

Hope this helps anyone just starting out on the rewarding hobby of Imaging DSO objects I havent done any Planetary imaging due to them being not well placed this year for me.

Put the subs mine are just lights (or with Calibration Frames)  through DSS then after  I use  PS & the free Gimp Software.

Eric who cannot dodge the Clouds

• Like 1

Well, you're no herd-follower, that's for sure. 🙂

I agree with you that much of The Dance is dispensable (e.g. guiding) if you're not to obsessive about IQ. Disagree about calibration frames, though. So much bang for the minimal buck there that it's hardly worth it without them.

Mind you, I don't bother with darks for my DSLR, but that's because the results are measurably just as good.

The thought of skipping cal frames for my ASI 183.....Hahahahahahahahahaha <snort> yeah, no. Good one, mate!

• Like 1