Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pity the people who will live near this - London 96m illuminated dome

Shimrod

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60848732

A new entertainment venue which will be 96m high and covered in LEDs will show visual displays and adverts. I don't understand how there can be special committees on light pollution, concern over energy usage and the environment yet something like this can be given planning permission.

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

43 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60848732

A new entertainment venue which will be 96m high and covered in LEDs will show visual displays and adverts. I don't understand how there can be special committees on light pollution, concern over energy usage and the environment yet something like this can be given planning permission.

Money talks 🤭

I do sometimes wonder about this whole UK "planning permission" thing?!?
I did wonder who this "London Legacy Development Company" (LLDC) was!
Heheh - I always thought it was "the Council" who decided on all such things.
Is it just me, or does "LLDC" sound suspiciously "Council-like"? lol. Hmmm! 🤔

Even on THIS estate, several new houses, have "popped up" between existing
properties, with scant attention to being "in keeping" with local building styles?
I often feel, for SOME, the Pandemic was one HUGE business opportunity. 😐

• Like 1

I suppose London's light pollution is so bad it'll not make it much worse - not that that should be an excuse. Pity the poor souls living in sight of it. I see they'll be offered black-out blinds "as a last resort" though, how thoughtful 😛 Wonder what it'll be known as, locally...the bunion? The carbuncle? Or probably something less polite!

Whatever happened to the polluter being responsible for fixing things? Imagine if a chemical company proposed to pollute the water-table and offered filters "as a last resort" as a solution. I wonder if that would be acceptable!

I had to laugh at the photograph showing a picture of the night sky projected onto the dome. To quote Oscar Wilde "For each man kills the thing he loves".    When will we learn :( 

Jim 

• Like 1