SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which camera for galaxies?

I've got a Nikon D7200 crop sensor camera and a ZWO 224MC planetary camera.

Which of these is better for imaging of galaxies? I'm going to start with M31 using a 72mm APO refractor.

I'm guessing the Nikon for best fov. I think the ZWO would only get the centre of M31.

Any general advice also much appreciated.

Edited by PatrickO

Andromeda images well with a DSLR, my 600d gets it in full frame too with a 60mm refractor. If you look on the telescopius website you can check the framing with the telescope simulator. Longish exposures around the 30s plus would be good, I've managed it with just 10s exposures (but 300+ frames). The 224 would be better for smaller targets like Pinwheel but the sampling may not be enough to get sharp details, just try it, doesn't take long to test.

• Like 1

Downloading Stellarium or using Telescopius.com's virtual-scope view will help you decide, I think. I've been imaging for... whoa, can it possibly be ten years?... and still invariably start with Stellarium.