Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pegasus pocket power box help

paul mc c

Hello all, for some reason i can't connect to the box,i recently connected a new powered usb hub,which when connected i smelt burning,so disconnected it immediately

From then i cannot connect although it is working i get this message.Any ideas.

Screenshot (55).png

28 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

Hello all, for some reason i can't connect to the box,i recently connected a new powered usb hub,which when connected i smelt burning,so disconnected it immediately

From then i cannot connect although it is working i get this message.Any ideas.

Screenshot (55).png

The horrible suspicion that i would have is as follows: Did you power the powered hub with 12volts or 5 volts?

USB Hubs that take a 12volt input are rare. In most cases plugging in 12volts will carry that through to all devices plugged into the hub. 

Adam

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Adam J said:

The horrible suspicion that i would have is as follows: Did you power the powered hub with 12volts or 5 volts?

USB Hubs that take a 12volt input are rare. In most cases plugging in 12volts will carry that through to all devices plugged into the hub. 

Adam

No I used the 5v adapter that came with it.The powered hub is gone now, as I say the PPB seems to be working OK, just won't connect. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paul mc c said:

No I used the 5v adapter that came with it.The powered hub is gone now, as I say the PPB seems to be working OK, just won't connect. 

The Pegasus equipment can run, with the saved settings, without being connected to a computer.  Not sure if you can reset it without a connection though, can you try another computer?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

The Pegasus equipment can run, with the saved settings, without being connected to a computer.  Not sure if you can reset it without a connection though, can you try another computer?

Tried another laptop and got the same message. The dew straps and all the other gear is working though, just can't connect the box. 

17 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

As it's been in and out of a hub is the com port still correct?

If I remember the com port is still the same 5, on EQMOD the com port is 6.....every thing goes to a single USB to computer from the hub. 

15 hours ago, paul mc c said:

If I remember the com port is still the same 5, on EQMOD the com port is 6.....every thing goes to a single USB to computer from the hub. 

I would check the devices panel in windows - have it open before you plug the PPB in and see if any com becomes active when you plug it in.

Hopefully, your PPB is trying to connect with the last saved com port but Windows has reserved that for another device.  Can you change the port on the PPB control app - perhaps to auto which will presumably scan for your PPB?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

Hopefully, your PPB is trying to connect with the last saved com port but Windows has reserved that for another device.  Can you change the port on the PPB control app - perhaps to auto which will presumably scan for your PPB?

I have the auto but no joy, and cant change the port for some reason,but will try what you have said.

thanks

Did you look in Device Manager to see if it popped up at all?

Failing that I am going to go back to your comment of smelling burning being far more important and you have indeed fried the USB port, or fried something at least.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

What I can't understand is that the box is still sending heat to the bands and the power is coming from the box onto the mount, camera ect via USB hub but just can't do any thing on the PPB screen. 

It's designed to be set up on a computer and used with or without a computer. If it does not activate a com port on devices then as scotty38 says it's likely the usb connection was fried by the USB hob at the time you smelled some burning.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You may have fixed this already but, for what it is worth, I had a similar problem with my Pegasus Focus Cube.  Turned out it was a slightly loose connection in the USB connecter on the Cube.  Might be worth trying a different USB 3 cable?

Neil