SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ursa Major Dobsonian Telescopes

More Dobs! 🙂

Ursa Major Dobsonian telescopes are from the same stable (Guan Sheng Optical 'GSO' in Taiwan) as our StellaLyra Dobsonians, but are more affordable. 

To achieve their low prices, these Ursa Major models have a more traditional Dobsonian base (Teflon pads & spring tensioner), a single-speed focuser and straight finder. 

UPDATE: From 21st April 2023, both models have been upgraded to include a robust azimuth roller-bearing assembly 🙂 

Key features (compared to other similarly priced models) are

• Same GSO parabolic mirror sets as equivalent aperture StellaLyra models. 
  • Roller bearings for Azimuth movement
  • CNC-machined Crayford focusers (not cast metal). 
  • Supplied with fully multicoated 9mm and 25mm GSO Plössl eyepieces. 

Ursa Major 6" f/8 Planetary Dobsonian

ursamajor_6_f8_dob_a.jpg.a28930c919ea43073827dfb78651e2b7.jpgursamajor_6_f8_dob_a1.jpg.40294e586b84d3f136f75430fce0f08b.jpg

ursamajor_6_f8_dob_a3.jpg.089675ead6fbe1fdfc8944af4a599ee8.jpgursamajor_6_f8_dob_a4.jpg.dcc8600174fb162a3564b69ee3fe4c78.jpg

Ursa Major 8" f/6 Dobsonian

ursamajor_8_f6_dob_a.jpg.9d92458544c522917e5645643225417c.jpgursamajor_8_f6_dob_a1.jpg.6e202367462cc22684982dcd9c9c8d6e.jpg

ursamajor_8_f6_dob_a4.jpg.3b676e8a4958c7a9823d9bd176971a64.jpgursamajor_8_f6_dob_a3.jpg.e0474952a93727cfdfa2deecb7579540.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I am feeling nostalgic because my first 'serious' astronomy telescope, around two decades ago, before FLO, was a GSO (sold as Revelation) Dobsonian purchased from Telescope House. The models shown here have better mirrors and focusers but are essentially the same. If I had known then how my wonderful new hobby would progress ... 😀

Steve

• Like 3

I remember my wife took one look at it and said "You're not keeping that indoors!😆 

My wife, incidentally, chose the 'Ursa Major' brand name for these affordable Dobsonians. 

Steve

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Interesting! So that's what happened to the StellaLyra 6"! Good idea to have a lower-spec range to appeal to the financially disadvantaged and beginners. Good to know that the optics are the same as the SL range too. I wonder what I'd have chosen if they'd been available when I bought my SL 8".....

Edited by cajen2

On 21/03/2022 at 16:41, cajen2 said:

Interesting! So that's what happened to the StellaLyra 6"! 

Yes. The StellaLyra 6 was the same as the Ursa Major 6 shown here but had different specs' to other StellaLyra models. So when it came to reordering, we decided to make it a separate stand-alone product. And then we added the 8".  

I own a 10" f/5 StellaLyra Dobsonian (the largest I can comfortably move around the garden). Still, the Ursa Major 6" f/8 has a longer focal-ratio with a smaller secondary mirror (central obstruction only 22%), so higher contrast. Not significantly higher, but noticeable if looking critically. The longer focal-ratio also has a narrow light cone, so it works very well with affordable eyepieces. Indeed if you were to position one at a star party alongside someone with an expensive 4-5" apo triplet, then compare views, you would not be popular! The performance provided by a good 6" f/8 Dobsonian (i.e. Ursa Major, Sky-Watcher, Bresser) is much higher than most people realise. 

Having said that, the 8" f/6 model will outsell the 6". It is arguably the best all-rounder and its larger aperture gathers nearly 1.8x more light. 

Steve

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FLO said:

I remember my wife took one look at it and said "You're not keeping that indoors!😆 

My wife, incidentally, chose the 'Ursa Major' brand name for these affordable Dobsonians. 

Steve

So, Great Bear, sorry, Steve, has your wife unwittingly revealed her pet nickname for you??😁😂

Dave

• Haha 1

On 21/03/2022 at 18:43, F15Rules said:

So, Great Bear, sorry, Steve, has your wife unwittingly revealed her pet nickname for you??😁😂

I am vertically challenged, so 'Ursa Minor' is more apt 😊

Steve 

• Haha 4

Always good to expand a range. :smiley:

However, I have a couple of questions:
1) Why does no one seem to do a 6" F8 with a dual speed focuser as standard? I would be interested if it was a dual speed focuser.
2) Why does no one seem to do a 8" F8 any more? ( An itch from the past needs to scratched here I think... )

3 minutes ago, Greymouser said:

Always good to expand a range. :smiley:

However, I have a couple of questions:
1) Why does no one seem to do a 6" F8 with a dual speed focuser as standard? I would be interested if it was a dual speed focuser.
2) Why does no one seem to do a 8" F8 any more? ( An itch from the past needs to scratched here I think... )

1) Good question!

2) Manageability, I suppose. My 8" F6 is quite long enough!

• Like 1

I suppose the Ursa Major represents better value for money with a cooling fan thrown in. To be honest I can't say I've had any issues really without a fan, nothing noticeable to my eye anyway. Still lovely looking dob in that rusty brassy colour - reminds me of the Skywatcher colours from around 12 years ago. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/03/2022 at 14:13, FLO said:

To achieve their low prices, these Ursa Major models have a more traditional Dobsonian base (Teflon pads & spring tensioner), a single-speed focuser and straight finder. 

From 21st April 2023, both models have been upgraded to include a robust azimuth roller-bearing assembly 🙂 

• Like 5