SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A very late Cone and fox-fur nebulae

mackiedlm

Having believed I was finished with the winter nebulae for this year, the weather decided to present be with three clear skies in a row - almost unprecedented out here. But of course full moon was smack in the middle of those three nights. So there was no point in trying for galaxies and i therefore set up for what I could get with the L-enhance - it came down to about 2.5 hrs each night on the cone nebulae. Then the scope was parked up under clear sky - breaks my heart!! The middle night on the full moon also had a bit of haze so not great. The l-enhance does a reasonable job but it does allow some moon leakage which made processing quite difficult.

So this is around 8 hours of 180s subs, SW 80 ED, ASI2600mc L-eNhance. I must say I particularly like the fact that Hubbles variable nebula is so clear. I'm going to try to grab some RGB stars to stick on top if i get some moonless sky this week.

cone_3S_psfcs.thumb.png.5e5af10564434507a9478f6dffd82df2.png

• Like 15

14 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Have I seen this called the Christmas Tree nebula or have I got the wrong end of the stick. A very fine image but in my view a touch too red satuarated.

Alan

Thanks Alan, yes this field includes the Christmas tree cluster - rotate the image 90 degrees counter clockwise and the triangle shape with the cone nebula at the top is the Christmas tree - its more obvious in LRGB when the colourful stars look like fairy lights!

Fantastic image!

Is that the variable nebula (Not sure of the name) in the top right of the image?

Edit: Just read sorry, you said in the post it is hubbles variable nebula 😁 Very nice!

Edited by Grant93
  • Like 1

I did 4h52m on this target at the start of the month using the Askar Duo-Band filter (similar to the L-eXtreme).

Tonight is clear here and the Moon doesn't rise until around midnight, so I've started capturing broadband data to add to the previous data to get the RGB stars and more colour to the nebulosity around the Christmas Tree Cluster. 

I may just use the Ha data from the first two nights, if tonight goes well.

Where I'm using the ASI 294MC Pro, I don't quite have the FOV to get Hubbles Variable Nebula in the frame. :(