SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Auriga in Ha

Adreneline

As so often seems to happen we have another perfectly clear night with a 97% Moon - time for Ha :)

I imaged this region some time back with a Canon 200mm lens (now sold) and decided to revisit with my Samyang 135 and my RedCat 51.

This is 32 x 300s from the SY135+ASI183MM unguided in CEM25 and 27 x 300s from the RedCat+ASI1600MM guided on AZEQ6.

Auriga-stars.thumb.jpg.40c0f1b35716d286ad0b516e981f7e4d.jpg

All 59 subs were calibrated, registered and integrated in APP at the same time which presented an interested gradient situation:

1371891618_Screenshot2022-03-20at11_01_14.thumb.png.a9ab9c01ccc146a5d3042915feedb4f4.png

APP's LPC tool did a great job of removing everything so no DBE or ABE required in PI

228045893_Screenshot2022-03-20at11_16_00.thumb.png.ae007ccac9d3b6dd018a99b11759ae61.png

All post processing was done in PI using Starnet v2 to produce this starless image and the EZ Suite to noise reduction.

Auriga-starless.thumb.jpg.96b711ad583af50d30aec1d76939e0ec.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Adrian

• Like 15

17 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Thank you. It can be very tempting to spoil a good Ha with some dodgy OIII taken with the Moon dominating the heavens!

Haha, I guess thats why my L-enhance isn't totally resistant to moon glow🥶. Although seems to be a lot better than nothing, Image from the weekend to come soon when I can be bothered to process and keep reprocessing until happy 😅. Investing in mono at some point in the year I think, seems to be the way to go to get the most out of our lack of clear nights in the UK. 🤓

1 hour ago, Adreneline said:

with my Samyang 135 and my RedCat 51.

Superb Adrian.  Excellent processing of the nebulosity and bags of detail being delivered by the modest focal lengths (punching above their weight) and the combination of data has worked well again - two sets for the price of one (not the literal price of course - we don't think about that!)

54 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Nice collection of mono shots there, I don't normally like ones with stars removed but that for me works very well.

Alan

Thanks Alan. I know I am in the minority with starless images but I do think they help to reveal detail and structure - and after all it is the nebula we are trying to image.

Thank you.

Adrian

53 minutes ago, Grant93 said:

Investing in mono at some point in the year I think, seems to be the way to go to get the most out of our lack of clear nights in the UK. 🤓

Sadly I think that is the case. Spend, spend, spend is the name of the game ;)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, geeklee said:

Superb Adrian.  Excellent processing of the nebulosity and bags of detail being delivered by the modest focal lengths (punching above their weight) and the combination of data has worked well again - two sets for the price of one (not the literal price of course - we don't think about that!)

Thank you Lee. Dual rigs can certainly make a difference. Investing in identical dual rigs is a step too far for me - I like the diversity - but the challenge of bringing it all together can be considerable. APP is an amazing piece of software for this sort of thing. I'm sure it can all be done in PI just as well but APP does it so easily.

Adrian

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Adreneline said:

Thanks Alan. I know I am in the minority with starless images but I do think they help to reveal detail and structure - and after all it is the nebula we are trying to image.

Thank you.

Adrian

It is probably me as much as anything as I don't know how to remove the stars with PS but do agree with you it helps with structure of the nebula. I must look for some sort of tutorial step by step and have a go.

Alan

3 hours ago, alan potts said:

It is probably me as much as anything as I don't know how to remove the stars with PS but do agree with you it helps with structure of the nebula. I must look for some sort of tutorial step by step and have a go.

Alan

starnet is available as command line, and even now (shock!) as a gui for windows. all free.

https://www.starnetastro.com/download/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alan potts said:

I don't know how to remove the stars with PS

Hello Alan,

I no longer use PS because Adobe and Apple conspired to ensure that legitimate users of CS6 (which I owned) would not run on the new 64 bit macOS and not be supported by Adobe - so that was that!

Anyway, that aside, I used to use Annie's Astro Actions (which cost about $19 - okay more than Starnet) which include amongst other things a star removal action which doesn't work as well as Starnet but with a bit of use of other PS tools (spot removal) works really well.

HTH

Adrian

• Like 1

what do you use now ? I can recommend affinity photo for mac. great package and lots of astro features.

64 wise - tbh if was adobe that was at fault not apple - apple had been telling them to get with the 21st century and make their stuff 64 bit for 10 years. they were about the only major bit of software that wasn't 64 bit. And unless apple could dump 32 bit legacy support (which as I say.. they had supported for 10 years), they couldn't really go forward with stuff like the M1, etc.

Yer better out of the Adobe racket imho. Took me a while to be weaned off, but now I wouldn't ever stick anything adobe on my mac - nastly code, helpers, updaters and all sorts everywhere. yuck.