Kit.

HEQ5 belt modded mount 

william optics zenithstar 73 

william optics 50mm guide scope 

ZWO 120mm mini guide cam

Astro modified canon 60d.

i will be using NINA and PHD2 .

bortle 5 skies.

i have spent the last couple of weeks testing and getting to know the kit a bit first .

i am trying to get some starters for sub lengths and iso.

i was thinking 180 sec iso 800 ?

i tried some guiding tests last week and was getting an average of 0.6-0.7 

any pointers will be much appreciated.

My modest experience from Bortle 5 sky is that in very long exposures the glow from the sky swamps the fine detail. Plus the longer the exposure the higher the risk of cloud/wind/satellite ruining the sub. 180 seconds may be about right.

I had good results with just 30 second exposures and 150mm Newtonian at F/5 with an unmoddded Canon 250D but that was a bit on the short side.

• Like 1

With the information you've provided, your optimum minimal exposure time is likely to be in the range of 1 - 2 minutes; this is the point at which your sky background swamps your sensor read noise.

Based on that, your plan to go with 3 minute subs should be fine, but if you find you're having tracking/guiding issues, you can safely lower the exposure time a bit without compromising the image. 

• Like 1

First time out tonight with new kit ,thought i would try the three point polar alignment plugin, but kept getting the error in the attached photo .

the mount seemed to move to the first 2 locations no bother ,it was the 3rd when the error appeared and i noticed the mount only moved a tiny bit then stopped .could the mount have moved to its limit ?

i tried adjust as per tips in the error box.

20220322_210208 (Medium).jpg

Edited by Cornelius Varley
background colour removed