Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

daystar quark or Lunt LS50THa/B600PT H Alpha Solar Telescope

iwols

I would go with the Lunt.

Quarks are good but it can be a bit of a lottery as to whether you will get a good one or not.

With the pressure tuned Lunt you can get on band fairly quickly but with a quark it will take 15/20 mins to achieve, plus as the Sun heats up the Quark it will move off band and you will need to adjust again.

You can also double stack a 50mm Lunt which then gives in better contrast.

• Like 2

On 19/03/2022 at 13:59, Hughsie said:

I would go with the Lunt.

Quarks are good but it can be a bit of a lottery as to whether you will get a good one or not.

With the pressure tuned Lunt you can get on band fairly quickly but with a quark it will take 15/20 mins to achieve, plus as the Sun heats up the Quark it will move off band and you will need to adjust again.

You can also double stack a 50mm Lunt which then gives in better contrast.

some great images on your site,could you tell me what you used for the first image dated SOL IN H⍺ – 29 AUGUST 2021,thats the kind of image i would love to capture thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/03/2022 at 11:47, iwols said:

Thanks Hughsie i see you have both,but what is the lunt 50 like compared to your lunt ls60 please?

I thought about upgrading to a Lunt 60, but if you double stack in the future i think you back down 50mm aperture. So it seems like it is a better idea to to get a Lunt 50 and double stack that.