Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What's the next eyepiece you are going to... get rid of?

Ags

On 16/03/2022 at 21:16, Franklin said:

But going back to your original post the eyepiece that is for the chop for me is the overpriced Vixen SSW 5mm.

Here I am quoting myself???

I have had a re-think on this one since using my scopes on an alt-az mount and I think I was being a bit harsh on this eyepiece. It's actually very, very good but the problem is that it is very sensitve to eye placement but I think I've just about nailed the technique. This is something that @John mentioned in his excellent review of the SSW range and it was happening to me. With the eyeguard all the way up, no problems but not able to appreciate the full 83deg field and with the eyeguard retracted, kidney-beaning but the whole field seen. I've found, through trial and lots of errors, that I need to start at the highest point and lower the eyeguard whilst still looking. Then I can stop at the exact point that fits my eye. I'm not very experienced with these super-wide style eyepieces but I think I'm getting the hang of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Franklin said:

Here I am quoting myself???

I have had a re-think on this one since using my scopes on an alt-az mount and I think I was being a bit harsh on this eyepiece. It's actually very, very good but the problem is that it is very sensitve to eye placement but I think I've just about nailed the technique. This is something that @John mentioned in his excellent review of the SSW range and it was happening to me. With the eyeguard all the way up, no problems but not able to appreciate the full 83deg field and with the eyeguard retracted, kidney-beaning but the whole field seen. I've found, through trial and lots of errors, that I need to start at the highest point and lower the eyeguard whilst still looking. Then I can stop at the exact point that fits my eye. I'm not very experienced with these super-wide style eyepieces but I think I'm getting the hang of it.

Since the Tele Vue Nagler T6 series is $14 cheaper in the US than the Vixen SSW series, and does not suffer from SAEP, I would have just bought the TV NT6 series to start with.  I don't understand why the SSW costs more than the NT6.

• Like 1

I might get rid of my 20mm Meade 5000 UWA due to its really short eye relief (12mm).  If my daughter wants it, I'll probably pass it along to her first, though.  It's a very sharp eyepiece if you can get past the eye relief.  Even with my eyeglasses removed, I have difficulty taking in the entire FOV and have to be careful blinking to avoid putting eyelash goo on the eye lens.

On 25/04/2022 at 13:49, Louis D said:

Since the Tele Vue Nagler T6 series is $14 cheaper in the US than the Vixen SSW series, and does not suffer from SAEP, I would have just bought the TV NT6 series to start with.  I don't understand why the SSW costs more than the NT6.

Moot point, since Vixen discontinued the SSW eyepieces a couple years ago.  Any SSWs still left are from before then.

I'd avoid them because of the SAEP,  but they might be able to be obtained for less now if you bargain.

Well, I think it's decided - I'm going to replace the MaxVision 24mm SWA.

This thread got me thinking about what I enjoy in my current 'A-team' of newer EPs which have over the last couple of years replaced others I own; as well as better build quality and optical performance, invariably the answer is the large eye lens of the Morpheus and Pentax XW etc.

Those additions have made the view through the MaxVision 24mm feel very tight despite technically showing the max field for a 1.25", so after some discussion on alternatives in another thread, I'm going to get an APM 24mm UFF to replace the MaxVision, as it's pretty much the only contender with a large eye lens, and generally gets good feedback (unless you're a glasses wearer, due to the recessed eye lens). 

Edited by badhex
  • Like 1

How do you get on with the TS ED 35mm in your sig?  I find its 14mm of usable eye relief a bit tight with eyeglasses.  Otherwise, it's a decent, near-maxfield, lightweight eyepiece.  If the eye lens wasn't recessed, it would be great with eyeglasses.

• Like 1

I can honestly say I am not looking to change anything either in or out just now.

I have a couple in my frac eyepiece box that are very rarely used but they fit a gap and its a gap that occasionally needs filling.

Another thing is both cost me less than £100.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Louis D said:

How do you get on with the TS ED 35mm in your sig?  I find its 14mm of usable eye relief a bit tight with eyeglasses.  Otherwise, it's a decent, near-maxfield, lightweight eyepiece.  If the eye lens wasn't recessed, it would be great with eyeglasses.

I really like it actually. It's pretty good in both my ZS73 and TS102 F7, very lightweight as you said and it's had more use than the Panoptic 41mm for a number of reasons, mostly that the Panoptic is too big to travel with and I often can't be bothered to take it out with me. It's also so big that the (any!) scope needs completely rebalancing just for that one EP. 

On the other hand, the TS is about the same size and weight as most of my other A-team EPs.

3 hours ago, Louis D said:

Thinking about it, presumably you have to keep the eyecup screwed fully down then? 

1 hour ago, badhex said:

Thinking about it, presumably you have to keep the eyecup screwed fully down then? 

Yes.  I've measured the eye lens recession to be 7mm!  It would have around 19mm to 20mm of usable eye relief if it was brought up to be nearly flush with the top.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Louis D said:

Not using them much?

Nope, it gets used every session, but since it’s the only eyepiece I own I don’t have a lot of options. I am selling it to part fund some fixed fl eps

1 minute ago, Carl Au said:

Nope, it gets used every session, but since it’s the only eyepiece I own I don’t have a lot of options. I am selling it to part fund some fixed fl eps

Good choice. Use the zoom to find out which focal lengths you use most, then upgrade.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Good choice. Use the zoom to find out which focal lengths you use most, then upgrade.

I often use my TV Zoom 3-6 to find out what magnification the seeing will support and then select an appropriate eyepiece accordingly 

• Like 1

Well, this is a very subjective thread, I've sold many eyepieces that some would consider keepers. Including me. No doubt, you've done the same. I sold a half set of CZJ orthos, best eps I've ever looked through. If I ever get to that stage again... somebody stop me!

As it stands right now, I'll be keeping all my Baader BCOs esp the 32mm plossl. And my Meade RGO.

So. I'd most likely sell my Vixen 30mm Plossl, or.... possibly my 7-21zoom.

But I still need them for general observing. So, no, not getting rid of any eyepieces at the mo!

Edited by Roy Challen
  • Like 1

Well, I could put the cat amongst the pigeons and say that the next eyepiece I will sell is likely to be either a Vixen 3.4mm HR or a TOE 3.3mm. It depends which I like best when the TOE arrives! Can’t really afford to keep both….

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Well, I could put the cat amongst the pigeons and say that the next eyepiece I will sell is likely to be either a Vixen 3.4mm HR or a TOE 3.3mm. It depends which I like best when the TOE arrives! Can’t really afford to keep both….

Arguably thought Stu, as you've *already* bought the TOE you have already afforded both 🙂

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, badhex said:

Arguably thought Stu, as you've *already* bought the TOE you have already afforded both 🙂

Weeelllll, yes, you could say that. In the medium term no, I probably can’t 😱

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stu said:

Weeelllll, yes, you could say that. In the medium term no, I probably can’t 😱

Well I'm sure there will be many people watching the 'for sale' section very closely soon! 😁

21 hours ago, Stu said:

Consider my interest piqued. I’ll be spamming the refresh in the ‘for sale’ thread.

• Like 1

My next to go will be the Tak LE 12.5mm. Nice eyepiece. Small and light, simple design. Tak sharp. Barlow's well with TV 2x. But that 52deg field just ain't enough 

• Like 1

I want to replace my BT Starguider 8mm and Svbony UWA 6mm with a Baader Morpheus 6.5mil. Don't get me wrong, both are fine EPs but I love the wide, clear views that the Morph provides. The trouble is I can't find one in stock anywhere...😥

• Like 2