SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What happened to the ZWO ASI2400MM ?

StuartT

Looking at the ZWO website, they have the OSC version (ASI2400MC Pro), but not the mono version. I assume it used to exist as it's listed in some places (though unavailable) - for example here

Seems a pity not to have it available any longer (with those nice big pixels).

What happened? Are there any equivalents using that IMX410 sensor?

As far as I know mono version of that camera never existed.

IMX410 is color sensor only (I might be wrong - but as far as I can see - it is color only) and no other manufacturer has mono version of that camera.

Mono camera is not in discontinued section of ZWO site and thus was probably never in their lineup, and my guess is that AliExpress listing is either wrong, scam or simply marketing trick to get google search results (page created for something people are likely to search - but item was never in stock and always discontinued - however, you can look at other items that "we have in stock" sort of thing).

• Thanks 1

Oh dear @vlaiv such underhand tactics!

I wonder why there is no mono version made by anyone? I assumed that colour sensors were just mono ones with a Bayer matrix added (but I guess I am wrong about that). This is why I assumed there must be a mono version of the camera.

Having those larger pixels in a full frame camera would be nice!

21 minutes ago, StuartT said:

Oh dear @vlaiv such underhand tactics!

I wonder why there is no mono version made by anyone? I assumed that colour sensors were just mono ones with a Bayer matrix added (but I guess I am wrong about that). This is why I assumed there must be a mono version of the camera.

Having those larger pixels in a full frame camera would be nice!

I guess it is not as simple as adding another layer (bayer matrix) and that mono differs in manufacturing process from color significantly so it does not pay out to do mono version of sensor that is aimed at consumer market (DSLR) rather than industry.

Most of mono sensors in astro cameras are for industrial / security and alike applications - where volume production pays off.

• Thanks 1