Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tak FC100DZ and Quark Chromosphere / Hershel wedge

PatG

I've been using an FC100DC with a Lunt solar wedge and continuum filter and it's the business. Solar disc explodes with detail, the Tak fluorite scopes are top-notch. Not used a Quark yet but would love to get my hands on one.

I use an FC100DC with a Baader CoolWedge with continuum filter and the views are amazing. When conditions allow, the detail in ARs and granulation is stunning. I’ve not used it for imaging in any real sense, just the odd iPhone snap, some examples here.  I’m sure a competent imager could get some cracking results.

I can’t recall if I used my Quark in the FC100DC or not, but I’m pretty sure it would give excellent results.

65449C81-1556-413B-8946-2589291C89B7.jpeg

B6976165-AAB1-44AB-BF86-16A2A4B2CA47.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

It’s fine - I used a DC with the Quark for a while, though no specific benefit from using a fluorite apo for solar Ha. You might just as well use a well figured achro.
But if you’re looking to just have one scope for nighttime and solar, Quark will perform well in the F/8 DZ. 

E3AAEE90-2057-4A5A-8ED4-BE9DA6F83600.jpeg

91999134-A7C8-487E-9DF3-62574B7A94FC.jpeg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Stu said:

I use an FC100DC with a Baader CoolWedge with continuum filter and the views are amazing. When conditions allow, the detail in ARs and granulation is stunning. I’ve not used it for imaging in any real sense, just the odd iPhone snap, some examples here.  I’m sure a competent imager could get some cracking results.

I can’t recall if I used my Quark in the FC100DC or not, but I’m pretty sure it would give excellent results.

65449C81-1556-413B-8946-2589291C89B7.jpeg

B6976165-AAB1-44AB-BF86-16A2A4B2CA47.jpeg

Stu, do you have the V or P version of the Baader Coolwedge?  Also, what is the orientation of the image when you look through it?  

Mm, you've got me thinking now £😱£

10 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Stu, do you have the V or P version of the Baader Coolwedge?  Also, what is the orientation of the image when you look through it?  

Mm, you've got me thinking now £😱£

Just the visual version Paul, I didn’t think I needed all those additional filters. Gives a nice bright image and works well with binoviewers although it does have quite a long optical path. The Tak copes with it well but I use a x1.7 or x2.6 GPC with longer focal length eyepieces (25mm). It’s harder with my Vixen FL102S but I’ve managed by connecting the binoviewer directly to the wedge with T2 connection.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Just the visual version Paul, I didn’t think I needed all those additional filters. Gives a nice bright image and works well with binoviewers although it does have quite a long optical path. The Tak copes with it well but I use a x1.7 or x2.6 GPC with longer focal length eyepieces (25mm). It’s harder with my Vixen FL102S but I’ve managed by connecting the binoviewer directly to the wedge with T2 connection.

Many thanks Stu.  I have a Tecnosky 102ED F7 aka the Stellaview version as you probably know  - perhaps it will be kinder thant the DC re focus with a binoviewer. Though my binoviewer is the Maxbright so has a T2 fit.   If I need any more info, can I pm you - to save hijacking this thread?

Thanks again Stu

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys. Good to hear this is an effective combination. I have a Lunt 2” Hershel wedge so plan to give it a try this weekend as the weather looks promising…

Mark - I see from your photos that you have a solar filter in front of the objective, is this necessary with a quark? What make is it?  - Im keen to understand if there are any concerns using the Tak FC100DZ for solar, mindful that it is a premium scope and don’t want to damage it in any way.

2 hours ago, PatG said:

Im keen to understand if there are any concerns using the Tak FC100DZ for solar, mindful that it is a premium scope and don’t want to damage it in any way.

On this point, I’ve used my FC100DC with a Herschel wedge for years (no front filter obviously) and it has suffered no ill effects.