SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

TS 96/f6 ED - too good to be true?

I love my Zenithstar 66 so much I want to replace it 🤣

Well, i would keep the ZS66, but it surely needs a big friend, just for visual and solar, not DSO photography. I reckon if I can keep the weight under 3 kgs, the focal length at 600 mm or less, and of course aperture as big as possible, I would be happy. The 80 mm f7 ED scopes are of course the obvious choice, but what about this 96mm, f6 one from TS:

tsed96f6-ed-apo-refraktor-95mm.jpg

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p13519_TS-Optics-ED-Apo-96-mm-f-6-mit-2-5-Zoll-RAP-Okularauszug---ED-Objektiv-aus-Japan.html

Sadly there are no reviews online. I expected to at least hear from disgruntled buyers complaining of outrageous chromatic aberration, but... nothing. Either it is very good, or no-one is buying it?

• Like 2

Relatively new item.

There is also triplet version.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p14015_TS-Optics-APO-Refractor-96-576-mm---FCD100-Triplet-Lens-from-Japan.html

As well as 85mm and 106mm versions (both triplets as well and based on FCD100).

I think it is interesting scope, both for visual but also for EEVA with say this reducer:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p7943_Long-Perng-2--0-6x-Reducer-and-Corrector-for-APO-Refractor-Telescopes.html

F/3.6 system at 345mm of FL.

For someone having ASI485 that would make it 1.75"/px at F/3.6, what more can person ask in terms of EEVA? :D

• Like 2

It's one of those latest new APO models, so no reviews online yet. But judging by the specs, this pretty fast f/6 FDC1 doublet (assuming it's a typo and is in fact FCD1 which is very similar to FPL51) should perform decently but not in the same league as the other f/7 or f/8 FPL53/CaF2 doublets.

15 hours ago, vlaiv said:

Just a wee bit of a price jump there (~$650 or 70%).  I'll wait and pick up a used one in a decade like I did with my TS-Optics Photoline 90mm FPL-53 triplet for about 60% of new price.

Asked a vendor and got a reply along the lines of "of course there's some CA... its only €1000.... why not try it?" Not sure we have the same definition of "only"! Thinking of the new Evolux 82 instead...

Maybe the 96/f6 could work. Except for solar in Ha or continuum filter I wouldn't use more than around 100x.

Edited by Ags

I presume this doesn't use the same glass as the Photoline 102 F7 or they'd call it out - although that's “only" about a hundred euros more.

From an AP perspective I assume the Evolux 82 night be a better shout? 

2 hours ago, Ags said:

The Evolux wouldn't be bad at anything I expect, but the other two would be better RFTs.

Agreed, I am thoroughly enjoying the F7 for that very reason - and being able to switch up to respectable high power views with just an eyepiece change is also very pleasing.

• 2 months later...

I am now thinking about this one - it has been on the market for a while and I imagine the image is not perfect if you go looking for problems, but the build quality appears to be excellent, and the images taken with it indicate it must at least be workable.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p11436_Long-Perng-90-mm-f-5-5-Apo---Dublet-Objektiv-mit-2-Sonderglaesern-und-2--RAP-Auszug.html

s500g-d-90mm-apo-ed-objektiv.jpg

https://www.astrobin.com/cd2oev/?q=Long Perng 90 mm

https://www.astrobin.com/4290/?q=Long Perng 90 mm

ldn1235-jpg.204099

stargugger12 on astronomie.de

The stars are not great in the corners of big sensors (not that I am likely to own one) based on some postings on other forums.

I am toying with selling my C6 to fund this thing. My reasoning is it will make a great 90 mm solar scope (also trade my Solar Scout up for a Combo Quark), and it provides enough aperture for solar and lunar photography. While 90mm is a great aperture for solar imaging and observing, 150 mm isn't really enough for planetary imaging (although I have had some nice results). For visual, a 90 mm scope should do nicely on planets and double stars and and at 500 mm focal length it would be great for low power DSO hunting and rich fielding. at 39cm transport length it's travel sized.

So - sell the C6 and buy the Long Perng? Or am I mad and risking buying a kaleidoscope?

Edited by Ags

Quite different animals.

For planetary photography, focal distance and aperture are king (like a C9.25 or Skymax 180, for example)

If you can stand it financially, keep both the C6 and go for the refractor as a complementary tool.

N.F.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ags said:

So - sell the C6 and buy the Long Perng? Or am I mad and risking buying a kaleidoscope?

For planetary - big chance you will end up with kaleidoscope. Maybe limit is use for EEVA and wide field if you decide to get one.

It seems this same scope was also sold as the WO Megrez 88. Based on the user reports I have seen, I think the false color is negligible for visual use, but less so photographically... 

I think I am going to go for it. If it works out especially photographically, I can swap the ZS66 for a Skymax 127, which would more than cover planetary duties.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ags said:

I'm not a big fan of the views offered by the C6, I think I prefer Maks. I can always pick up a Skymax 127 at some point.

If you can upgrade to the Skymax 150, that would be really nice IMHO.

I started with the 127, and decided to jump directly to the 180

N.F.

• Like 1

I’m not sure I would do that but a lot depends on what you want it to do.

Is portability a key factor for you? I guess I just that that it’s a fairly fast scope and ‘only’ a doublet, a decent triplet would be better at that speed. It may also show some field curvature at only 500mm focal length.

Something like one of the 102mm f7 scopes would likely be better if that’s not too big for you (depending on how important the travel element is)

I guess budget always comes into this. I always fancied the look and specs of their 96mm f6 triplet for a travel Scope but that is getting a bit pricey.

• Like 2

My previous refractors have a focal length of 400 mm or less, so a 500 mm frac is practically a flatfield scope for me. 

Maybe it is just my eyes or the way I look at things, but I don't feel I benefit greatly from the extra aperture of the C6, although my current ZS66 is just a bit small compared to a 100 mm Mak. I am trying to put together the wide field of the ZS66 with similar aperture to  Skymax 102 to split more doubles and reveal fainter companion stars, while still being airline friendly.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, nfotis said:

If you can upgrade to the Skymax 150

That's a scope I have been wanting for a while, but it is a bit heavy for the AZ-GTI. The OO UK OMC140 would fit my weight budget, but it is only 20 mm more than the Skymax 127 for twice the price.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Spock said:

Have you thought about the new Evolux 82mm? 530mm focal length, 2.92Kg, and really well made.

Yes I have. It's gorgeous. I would buy it for looks alone. With less aperture and f6.4 it is a safer bet optically. My heart is set on 90 mm aperture though. But the Evolux 82 is the other scope in the running.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Something like one of the 102mm f7 scopes would likely be better if that’s not too big for you (depending on how important the travel element is)

My 102 f7 is roughly the same size as my 120 f5 and weighs probably a kilo more.  I have traveled with my 120, but I don't consider it an ideal travel scope.  YMMV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1