Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Extender Tube Thingy?

Ian McCallum

I read that screwing my ZWO ASI 224MC directly to the focuser tube is a better option, than using the supplied M42 to 1.25 inch adapter. 

As the focuser tube on my SW Evostar 120 is 2 inches in diameter, is it possible to get an extension tube adapter to fit this?

I've been using a spare 2 inch extension tube from my SW 200P, just to keep me going, but I'd prefer an adapter where I can screw the camera directly to it. 

20220313_145548.jpg

20220313_145627.jpg

Hi Ian

From what I understand, the 2" Optical Back can be unscrewed from the end of the focuser, revealing a M48 thread.

The ZWO ASI 224MC has M42 threads.

So you need a suitable length Female M48 to Male M48 extension, plus a  Female M48 to Male M42 adapter at the camera end.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

Hi Ian

From what I understand, the 2" Optical Back can be unscrewed from the end of the focuser, revealing a M48 thread.

The ZWO ASI 224MC has M42 threads.

So you need a suitable length Female M48 to Male M48 extension, plus a  Female M48 to Male M42 adapter at the camera end.

I spoke with Auntie @FLO, who suggested that the 224MC is really a lightweight camera that doesn't need to be screwed in directly.  I can live with that.😉  My biggest headache at the moment is the very steep learning curve that it KStars and EKOS - plate solving, etc.🙄

7 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

Yes I did notice that the ZWO ASI 224MC has a tiny 1/3" sensor, so maybe tilt won't be an issue.

Michael

There's a bit of 'give/slop' in the focuser tube, but that seems to be normal for these lower end refractors from SW. 🙄  I get the same affect with some of the eyepieces that I use, if I'm visually observing.

Edited by Ian McCallum