SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

N.I.N.A setup issue !

ninjageezer

46 minutes ago, ninjageezer said:

awesome thanks, i'm doing test shots indoors atm getting there,a couple of peculiar things though .

Target set start options and target set end options ,,, if i have unpark mount on start it won't it just comes up error telescope is parked so i have to go and unpark before i can slew. on target set end options park mount it parks mount when i click the play /start sequence button  ......is it a glitch in the software or am i missing something silly,i thought the obvious thing it would do was run the sequence and then park the scope but it works backwards .

Here is my Sequence setup. I just want to check that you have everything connected to NINA.

Snag_bc628c1.png.b2d1636ae3052972c9392a4826bebed3.png

Forgive me if you have already done this but just checking.

You need to connect your mount to NINA. It does this by connecting to EQMOD or GSS, whatever you are using for mount control. So these applications must be running.

Once the mount control app is running you connect NINA to it. I use GSS to control my mount and you connect it to NINA with the Equipment/Telescope tab in NINA. The telescope comes up as 'ASCOM GS Telescope' in the drop down. If you are using EQMOD, it comes up as 'EQMOD ASCOM HEQ5/6'.

My memory is that I've never got NINA to unpark the mount remotely and I think NINA just stops if the mount is parked. So I always unpark the mount in GSS (or EQMOD). 

Also, NINA will not start a sequence if you are presently using the camera from the Imaging tab, e.g. taking looped exposures to check focussing etc. You need to stop the imaging exposures before NINA will start a sequence. 

I suggest setting up a sequence with some short exposures, say 5 sec, as a first test.  

Here is a bit more information:

I use Carte du Ciel as my planetarium software - you could use Stellarium but I find CdC easier to connect and CdC works well with NINA.

Start CdC and select 'Telescope/Connect telescope' and CdC will then connect to NINA (and also to GSS or EQMOD). 

For control of guiding, you need to have PHD2 running and connected to NINA via Equipment/Guider.

So my normal workflow is to unpark the mount in GSS (or EQMOD), select the target in CdC and right click and select telescope/slew; (target name). The scope now slews to the target but might not be accurately set. I now know where the target is in the sky and can slew my dome (manual) to have the slot in the right place. You can also slew to the target from the NINA Framing tab by pressing 'Slew and Centre' after having loaded the target to the Framing tab  - see below.

Note in the sequence definition, above, I have 'Unpark Mount' off. 

In the target options in the sequencer, I have Slew to target and Centre both on. NINA will slew the mount to point at the RA and Dec coordinates of your target.  You can see the coordinates here.

Snag_befdc99.png.ce0f18dbde606094c5fb708b371beb1a.png

There are four ways to set the RA and Dec coordinates.

1. You can simply type the coordinates in on the sequence page. Also, give the target a name.

2. You can search for a target in the Sky Atlas, e.g. galaxy, brighter than 10 mag, in Leo - or just type M65, or whatever. Select a target, check it is correct. Then transfer it to the Framing tab - click on  Set for Framing Assistant.

In the Framing tab, NINA will load the target image off the internet. It will provide the field of view you have on the target using the telescope focal length and camera details set up in Options/Equipment. You can move the field of view around with your mouse and NINA will recalculate the RA and Dec coordinates as you do.  Now click 'Add target to Sequence' and the framing tab will transfer the coordinates of the centre of the field of view to the sequencer and will generate a sequence template for you to fill in. 

3. You can transfer the coordinates of the target from your planetarium software (CdC, in my case) by clicking on the button to the right of the Coordinates label in the Framing tab.  You can now proceed as in step 2 and transfer the coordinates to the sequencer.

4. You can load an existing image file into the Framing tab to carry on collecting data on an existing target. If your image was saved in FITS format, NINA will have stored the RA and Dec coordinates of the target in the image header. NINA will read this and send those coordinates to the Sequencer.

NINA will not only slew to to your target but also centre using a plate solver. which you will need to set up. I use  ASTAP which needs to be installed and then NINA points to it under Options/Plate Solver. Plate solving changed my life and give me so much time. You don't have to calibrate the mount against the sky, simply use the plate solver.

NINA is a very rich application and will take time to get to know and set up properly. Do read the documentation.

I hope this helps and hasn't put you off.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

I take it the kit connects ok and works if you do it manually?

yes all seen spot on.all connect first go, ive taken test shots indoors and played a lot so i dont end up spending a wasted evening outside.

i have a canon 60d astro modded ,an heq5 mount with belt mod,a zwo 120 mini guide cam with a william optics zenithstar 73 and  5omm guide scope 

11 minutes ago, ninjageezer said:

ok so this is a quick test i setup but it wont work as expected ,,,please advise...

it wont unpark at the star even though i have it ticked, also it parks when i click start not at the end .....

nina.png

It will only unpark if the mount is parked, but if you have slewed to an object already and solved or aligned, then you will already be unparked, so no need to have that checked…

• Like 1

22 hours ago, davies07 said:

Here is my Sequence setup. I just want to check that you have everything connected to NINA.

Snag_bc628c1.png.b2d1636ae3052972c9392a4826bebed3.png

Forgive me if you have already done this but just checking.

You need to connect your mount to NINA. It does this by connecting to EQMOD or GSS, whatever you are using for mount control. So these applications must be running.

Once the mount control app is running you connect NINA to it. I use GSS to control my mount and you connect it to NINA with the Equipment/Telescope tab in NINA. The telescope comes up as 'ASCOM GS Telescope' in the drop down. If you are using EQMOD, it comes up as 'EQMOD ASCOM HEQ5/6'.

My memory is that I've never got NINA to unpark the mount remotely and I think NINA just stops if the mount is parked. So I always unpark the mount in GSS (or EQMOD). 

Also, NINA will not start a sequence if you are presently using the camera from the Imaging tab, e.g. taking looped exposures to check focussing etc. You need to stop the imaging exposures before NINA will start a sequence. 

I suggest setting up a sequence with some short exposures, say 5 sec, as a first test.  

Here is a bit more information:

I use Carte du Ciel as my planetarium software - you could use Stellarium but I find CdC easier to connect and CdC works well with NINA.

Start CdC and select 'Telescope/Connect telescope' and CdC will then connect to NINA (and also to GSS or EQMOD). 

For control of guiding, you need to have PHD2 running and connected to NINA via Equipment/Guider.

So my normal workflow is to unpark the mount in GSS (or EQMOD), select the target in CdC and right click and select telescope/slew; (target name). The scope now slews to the target but might not be accurately set. I now know where the target is in the sky and can slew my dome (manual) to have the slot in the right place. You can also slew to the target from the NINA Framing tab by pressing 'Slew and Centre' after having loaded the target to the Framing tab  - see below.

Note in the sequence definition, above, I have 'Unpark Mount' off. 

In the target options in the sequencer, I have Slew to target and Centre both on. NINA will slew the mount to point at the RA and Dec coordinates of your target.  You can see the coordinates here.

Snag_befdc99.png.ce0f18dbde606094c5fb708b371beb1a.png

There are four ways to set the RA and Dec coordinates.

1. You can simply type the coordinates in on the sequence page. Also, give the target a name.

2. You can search for a target in the Sky Atlas, e.g. galaxy, brighter than 10 mag, in Leo - or just type M65, or whatever. Select a target, check it is correct. Then transfer it to the Framing tab - click on  Set for Framing Assistant.

In the Framing tab, NINA will load the target image off the internet. It will provide the field of view you have on the target using the telescope focal length and camera details set up in Options/Equipment. You can move the field of view around with your mouse and NINA will recalculate the RA and Dec coordinates as you do.  Now click 'Add target to Sequence' and the framing tab will transfer the coordinates of the centre of the field of view to the sequencer and will generate a sequence template for you to fill in. 

3. You can transfer the coordinates of the target from your planetarium software (CdC, in my case) by clicking on the button to the right of the Coordinates label in the Framing tab.  You can now proceed as in step 2 and transfer the coordinates to the sequencer.

4. You can load an existing image file into the Framing tab to carry on collecting data on an existing target. If your image was saved in FITS format, NINA will have stored the RA and Dec coordinates of the target in the image header. NINA will read this and send those coordinates to the Sequencer.

NINA will not only slew to to your target but also centre using a plate solver. which you will need to set up. I use  ASTAP which needs to be installed and then NINA points to it under Options/Plate Solver. Plate solving changed my life and give me so much time. You don't have to calibrate the mount against the sky, simply use the plate solver.

NINA is a very rich application and will take time to get to know and set up properly. Do read the documentation.

I hope this helps and hasn't put you off.

ok so did a test following your great help and the test workedokand the scope parked after the test.hoping for some clear skies tonight to trial....😃

ok so I was out tonight to trial settings ,conditions terrible massive moon so no real chance of imaging .

I did try a few sequence's but kept getting this error.  "ASTAP validation failed: No star database not found in C:/Program Files/astap" But I do have these files installed in this directory.i have the latest beta version of NINA any ideas or should i use a different plate solver.

On 18/03/2022 at 00:28, ninjageezer said:

ok so I was out tonight to trial settings ,conditions terrible massive moon so no real chance of imaging .

I did try a few sequence's but kept getting this error.  "ASTAP validation failed: No star database not found in C:/Program Files/astap" But I do have these files installed in this directory.i have the latest beta version of NINA any ideas or should i use a different plate solver.

Which ASTAP star database did you download…?

I think there is an issue as to whether the setting in the options tab references the folder containing ASTAP or the app itself. Here is my setting and I think it's pointing to the app

Snag_634e8b.png.3b41f39d1c68a3d7db21bf6ddc458a3f.png 

Also, by the way, I have the plate solver exposures set to 10s. 

Edited by davies07
Add information.

48 minutes ago, davies07 said:

I think there is an issue as to whether the setting in the options tab references the folder containing ASTAP or the app itself. Here is my setting and I think it's pointing to the app

Snag_634e8b.png.3b41f39d1c68a3d7db21bf6ddc458a3f.png 

Also, by the way, I have the plate solver exposures set to 10s. 

yes i have just the same so i have no idea why ,i will reinstall ASAP large star database again and try .

That's fine as long as the H17 or H18 database files are in the same directory. Also go into ASTAP itself and either select H17/H18 or make sure it's set to AUTO. I have heard of having H18 and H17 installed together causing issues but I didn't have any although I just have H17 now.

Edited by scotty38