Narrowband

N.I.N.A setup issue !

ninjageezer

ok so trying to setup NINA for the first time ,ive got my HEQ5 mount connected no errors ok but my guide camera gives the following error even though it says connected.

ZWO asi  120mm mini guide scope it says connected and then i get an error box saying ASI_ERROR_GENERAL_ERROR from call to ASISetControlValue camerald=0 control type=asi high speed mode,value=0 auto=false 

totally lost ,tried different usb lead ect.

32 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

Am I misunderstanding but why are you connecting your guide camera? Do you have the imaging camera connected ok as only one can be connected at a time?

Hi sorry i need to explain more ,at this time i am just practising with the software ,i don't have my Astro Canon 60d connected as yet as its away until next week ,so i have the mount connected all seems ok with that and just the guide scope at this time.

this is the error.sorry but i am a newbie at this .

20220312_130632 (Medium).jpg

1 hour ago, scotty38 said:

Which driver are you selecting? As an example this is what I see in NINA and in the Ascom section (2) would be my 120mm

Capture.PNG.74784abe64bdab15dc170b49d405da32.PNG

Thanks scotty will have another play when my main imaging camera is back early next week. I did select the camera and it said connected but still gave the error message.

19 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

ok, how are you physically connecting too, what devices etc are in play here?

Scotty I think you may have got something, if I click on ASI ascom 1 it connects to the mini with no error,,,not sure why this is ,i have double checked i have the latest drivers .

if i select the exact camera from the dropdown it connects and then i get an error.

22 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

ok, how are you physically connecting too, what devices etc are in play here?

ok so i have a new HEQ5 mount connected via EQMOD cable to laptop. i have the ZWO asi120mm mini as a guide scope also connected to mount and laptop.

i have a main imaging camera a canon 60 d modded .(this is away ATM) the hand controller is not plugged in at all.

hope this helps

Hmm a bit odd. If you mean the exact camera ie the ZWO ones in the list the same as mine then they are the native NINA drivers but essentially using the ASCOM drivers. Can you check the settings that come up for both drivers? For the ASCOM one when you click the gears it'll bring up a separate config box whereas for the NINA driver it's done on the camera page itself.

Remember the guide camera connects to PHD, not to NINA.  NINA then connects to PHD via an internal software port via PHD's API.

Took me a few imaging runs to get my head around NINA (coming from SGP) but once you do it leaves  SGP for dust.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ninjageezer said:

Just an update got my camera back today and got it connected just fine in N.I.N.A ,one question not sure if its a setting.  when i click live view its a B+W image but in APT the live view is in colour ?

Do you have annotation turned on?

I am assuming the debayer options are on, annotation is the one that caught me out....

Edited by scotty38

On 15/03/2022 at 19:43, scotty38 said:

Do you have annotation turned on?

I am assuming the debayer options are on, annotation is the one that caught me out....

Just found this online so maybe its correct .....live view functionality is limited and should only be used for something like focusing. For that b&w is sufficient. To get color images and rich functionalities, just use looping exposures.

Where in NINA do you select iso and shutter speed ect ,i have the camera set to the bulb position but not sure on the other settings i guess iso is trial and error but what shutter speed do i select .

When using APT there is a drop down box to set these values but not in NINA unless i am looking in the wrong place.

I've never used any Canon drivers so not sure what, if any, options are presented.

For other cameras they're set by using one of the "exposure" types in the simple or advanced sequencer, have you tried that?

I see this mentioned quite often so may be an option??

https://github.com/FearL0rd/ASCOM.DSLR

Edited by scotty38

I've never used any Canon drivers so not sure what, if any, options are presented.

For other cameras they're set by using one of the "exposure" types in the simple or advanced sequencer, have you tried that?

I see this mentioned quite often so may be an option??

https://github.com/FearL0rd/ASCOM.DSLR

ok thanks scotty ,seems strange that there is no settings for the camera maybe trial and error.

i think i will maybe stick with APT to start with.

13 minutes ago, ninjageezer said:

ok thanks scotty ,seems strange that there is no settings for the camera maybe trial and error.

I'm not sure what you mean that there are no settings. Did you look at the exposure options in the sequencers or on the imaging tab for example, that's where they will be?

22 minutes ago, ninjageezer said:

The settings are all there, it’s just a case of knowing where, you need to take some time and get used to the software and where things are, before embarking on an imaging session with it, or it will be frustrating….easy enough to have a look around in the daytime…👍🏼

• Like 1

You should find several tabs under the Imaging section - leftmost bubble labelled 'Imaging'. One tab, labelled Image, shows the latest Image from the camera but there should be a tab labelled 'Imaging'. You should find your camera controls here.  You can set up the camera to perform looped images of some short exposure then inspect these images as they arrive on the Image tab. 

NINA will offer what ever camera facilities it can governed by the camera driver.  So, for example, your camera has a shutter. When you come to shoot darks or bias frames, NINA will keep the shutter closed when shooting the dark frames. NINA will still issue a warning to cover the telescope but you can just click ok on this and NINA will then shoot the darks. 

If you are connecting via ASCOM, it is worth checking the ASCOM settings on the camera driver before connecting it. To do this, go to Equipment/Camera, select the camera from the dropdown and then click on settings (gear wheels icon). The ASCOM equipment finder then searches for the camera, and once it has found it will bring up the camera parameters. You might be able to edit these. Now click OK on the ASCOM settings, then click on connect in NINA to attach the camera. 

Note that the Imaging section also has a 'Telescope' tab. Once you have your mount tracking a target using a sequence of exposures, the telescope tab shows where the mount is pointing and how far the mount is from a meridian flip - very handy.

• Like 1

awesome thanks, i'm doing test shots indoors atm getting there,a couple of peculiar things though .

Target set start options and target set end options ,,, if i have unpark mount on start it won't it just comes up error telescope is parked so i have to go and unpark before i can slew. on target set end options park mount it parks mount when i click the play /start sequence button  ......is it a glitch in the software or am i missing something silly,i thought the obvious thing it would do was run the sequence and then park the scope but it works backwards .

Paste the options and configuration you're using as the sequencers will unpark and park as you'd expect.

ok so this is a quick test i setup but it wont work as expected ,,,please advise...

it wont unpark at the star even though i have it ticked, also it parks when i click start not at the end .....

nina.png