Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Asiair Pro network connectivity solutions.

I've just bought a used Asiair Pro and a wondrous device it is except for one thing, the wifi signal it broadcasts is atrocious. This a very common and discussed problem with several "solutions". I've been looking at a portable wireless router:

TP-Link TL-MR3020 V3 Portable 3G/4G Wireless N Router : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

as possible solution. I'm wondering whether any users on here have any experience of this kind of module for this purpose. I'd be looking to connect the portable router to the Asiair via a network cable and power the router from a power bank.

1 hour ago, LaurenceT said:

I've just bought a used Asiair Pro and a wondrous device it is except for one thing, the wifi signal it broadcasts is atrocious. This a very common and discussed problem with several "solutions". I've been looking at a portable wireless router:

TP-Link TL-MR3020 V3 Portable 3G/4G Wireless N Router : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

as possible solution. I'm wondering whether any users on here have any experience of this kind of module for this purpose. I'd be looking to connect the portable router to the Asiair via a network cable and power the router from a power bank.

I use the AC750 version and it works perfectly. It too can be powered from an ASIair usb socket (it draws just 330mA so well within the USB specification).

IMG_3226-crop.thumb.jpg.1a3b52b146be574ab56873e64d09f658.jpg

HTH

Adrian

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

I use the AC750 version and it works perfectly. It too can be powered from an ASIair usb socket (it draws just 330mA so well within the USB specification).

HTH

Adrian

+1 for this.  Only tricky thing for me is getting a power supply to it. @Adreneline are you powering it via usb from the ASIAir if so how do you manage the USB memory stick, mount connection and the main + guide cameras?

1 minute ago, Zummerzet_Leveller said:

+1 for this.  Only tricky thing for me is getting a power supply to it. @Adreneline are you powering it via usb from the ASIAir if so how do you manage the USB memory stick, mount connection and the main + guide cameras?

Hi Jody.

Good question! When I used this arrangement on the CEM25-EC it wasn't a problem because I didn't need to guide. On the AZEQ6 I do need to guide so I decided not to use the memory stick and save image to the SD card instead. The EFW and EAF plug into the back of the camera - the mount, camera and guide camera plug into the ASIair.

Adrian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pitch Black Skies said:

Are you familiar with this Laurence?

The AAP powers it too, really handy.

I did consider that but decided on the router instead partly because of the reason below 👍

17 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

HTH

Adrian

I bought the lower powered and cheaper version simply because the Marital Financial Controller is keeping a beady eye on me, we've just spent £500 on repairing the fridge in our motorhome so needs must!. I have a spare usb socket on the AAP but will probably power it from my power brick.

• Like 3

I bought the basic Vonets one without external antenna and it wasn't much better than the default WiFi. This one however:

Vonets VBG1200 Industrial Dual band 2.4GHz&5GHz WiFi bridge

Has 4 external antennas and transmits much better, struggles a bit through brick but I have the benefit of being able to sit upstairs and monitor the setup whilst it's running. Just don't expect a mains powered WiFi router grade level of bandwidth/strength/speed.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Zummerzet_Leveller said:

As I have a OSC I wonder if I can plug the guide cam into the usb on the OSC to free up a port on the ASIAir?

I am sure many people do this but I seem to recall reading somewhere that it was better to plug the guide camera into a PC/ASIair/etc. directly and use the camera usb hub for things like the EFW and EAF - but I really don't know for sure. Try it and see I guess :)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

I am sure many people do this but I seem to recall reading somewhere that it was better to plug the guide camera into a PC/ASIair/etc. directly and use the camera usb hub for things like the EFW and EAF - but I really don't know for sure. Try it and see I guess :)

ZWO recommend connecting the guide camera to the usb port on my 533mc Pro but I can't really see the difference to your suggestion.

• Like 2

On 11/03/2022 at 10:06, Adreneline said:

HTH

Adrian

I actually returned the lower powered TP-Link router and have taken delivery of the AC750 that you use just to make sure of extra range, for the extra £12 odd it seemed worth it. Can I just confirm the settings I've applied to connect via the TP-Link router?

I've setup the Asiair connected through the app ( iPad PRO) and set frequency to 5Ghz and closed the app.

Connected the ethernet cable from the AAP to the router and set the router to AP/Eng Ext/Client mode

Connected the ipad to the TP-Link wifi 5Ghz network and re-opened the AAP app.

It seems to work well, I can hear the mount slewing through 3 internal walls although I can't test it's full range as my wife is away today. When she returns she will be able to help me test the full range of the router/AAP.

Edited by LaurenceT

1 hour ago, LaurenceT said:

I can't test it's full range ....

Hi Laurence.

I've never actually tested the maximum range on mine - I'm just happy I now get stable and consistent wifi between the mount and where I sit inside to control everything, which is about 15m. I'll be interested to know what range you get.

• Like 1