SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Can anyone identify these tripod legs?

badhex

Hello all

I picked up these tripod legs many moons ago along with a small EQ mount I've since identified as probably EQ-2 / EQ Astro-3 clone. I am 99.9% sure that the tripod did not come with the mount originally, and I'd like to identify it. 

The mount itself was my first small EQ mount and is no longer in use, but the tripod appears to be chromed steel, and sturdier than the aluminium tripod supplied with small modern Skywatcher mounts such as the AZ-GTi.

My plan is to be able to use it with the AZ-GTi and/or Scopetech Zero as the ali tripod does not fare well with larger scopes like the TS 102 F7 ED. Some modification will be required, but if I can identify it I may be able to find a pre-made adapter. 

Mount head recess is approximately 40mm diameter (not 45mm like the scopetech adaptor), and it's a standard ⅜" bolt. The plastic disc on top is simply held on with a single screw, and just acts as a kind of washer. 

20220309_112233.thumb.jpg.f0af278ff2783e6b760ed2711e1dcea9.jpg20220309_112243.thumb.jpg.8d969ef3bd679a974e636805ff063dab.jpg

Edited by badhex

59 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

It looks like a Celestron or iOptron tripod (based on the leg spreader) - did you get the tray that fits on the spreader?)

I do - it's the same size and shape as the one that comes with the AZ-GTi but with holes, see below. The tripod is at least 8-10 years old as that's when I bought it, so would have to be an older model. It makes sense though that the newer SW stuff uses the same pattern of leg spreader and tray as Celestron, with them both now being Synta. Did you have any specific model in mind? 

I saw that the iOptron ones are also very similar but I'm not sure if it's the same exactly?

Left is the spreader tray from this tripod, right is the newer SW one. 

20220311_152331.thumb.jpg.bc3bedf41f4725a45b4967ae394ba78d.jpg

I can't pinpoint the model but the budget mount/scopes that Celestron are doing now seem to have a similar (updated) tripod - like here. The clamps that hold the spreader to the legs are a bit prone to breaking so the tray might be used to add extra strength.

Your older model looks more durable than the newer models.

• Like 1

I have exactly this tripod, which came with the (Bresser-made) Skylux scope from LIDL, and the Astro-3 German equatorial mount.

I, too, suspected that the tripod was Celestron-like, because when I had to get a replacement for a broken spreader connector, the ones I needed looked just like the ones sold for Celestrons:

https://groversoptics.com/tripod-leg-circular-clamp-bracket-brace-clip/#/34-colour-grey

(I actually bought mine from Astroboot, no longer available)

• Thanks 1

Just now, StevieDvd said:

I can't pinpoint the model but the budget mount/scopes that Celestron are doing now seem to have a similar (updated) tripod - like here. The clamps that hold the spreader to the legs are a bit prone to breaking so the tray might be used to add extra strength.

Your older model looks more durable than the newer models.

Thanks, yeah that's the closest I could get as well when googling. I'm going to try looking for 40mm adaptors if such a thing exists, but if not I think I can make this work with some sort of 3/8 extension nut, or if all else fails, a longer bolt to replace it altogether. 

5 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

I have exactly this tripod, which came with the (Bresser-made) Skylux scope from LIDL, and the Astro-3 German equatorial mount.

I, too, suspected that the tripod was Celestron-like, because when I had to get a replacement for a broken spreader connector, the ones I needed looked just like the ones sold for Celestrons:

https://groversoptics.com/tripod-leg-circular-clamp-bracket-brace-clip/#/34-colour-grey

(I actually bought mine from Astroboot, no longer available)

Ah, interesting! Most of the pictures I've found of the Astro-3 / Lidl mount show the square-type ali tripod so I'd assumed mine was a frankenmount! Perhaps this tripod is original after all. It's certainly more sturdy than you'd imagine a supermarket scope to be, but I heard that the Skylux was also surprisingly good.

10 minutes ago, badhex said:

Ah, interesting! Most of the pictures I've found of the Astro-3 / Lidl mount show the square-type ali tripod so I'd assumed mine was a frankenmount! Perhaps this tripod is original after all. It's certainly more sturdy than you'd imagine a supermarket scope to be, but I heard that the Skylux was also surprisingly good.

It really was over-engineered for the very lightweight 70/700 that it was sold with (Germans ...)
As you say, more recently the Skylux has been offered with a lighter tripod, and with a mount that looks more like an EQ-1.

I must get the Skylux out again. It was my first (as an adult) scope, and at the time I didn't know what to expect. It would be interesting to compare it with the three I've bought since then.

The Astro-3 crops up from time to time in odd places; see here, someone has it on a wooden tripod:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/03/2022 at 18:58, Zermelo said:

It really was over-engineered for the very lightweight 70/700 that it was sold with (Germans ...)
As you say, more recently the Skylux has been offered with a lighter tripod, and with a mount that looks more like an EQ-1.

I must get the Skylux out again. It was my first (as an adult) scope, and at the time I didn't know what to expect. It would be interesting to compare it with the three I've bought since then.

The Astro-3 crops up from time to time in odd places; see here, someone has it on a wooden tripod:

Sorry, I somehow managed to miss this reply, but thanks! It's an odd one, because it's a bit too small for an 80mm doublet (at least, certainly the combination of mount + tripod) and a bit too much faff to set up for anything smaller. It did hold my Skymax 102 very well, though. 

• Like 1