Mosaic 9th March 8" Stella lyra CC

neil phillips

1 hour ago, WestCoastCannuck said:

Tons of details!   I think I like the larger file better.  Processing right on the edge.... like a knife!   A ton of great detail here.    I was also out!   Just 140 data for me.

Clear skies!!

Mike

Hi Mike yes right on the edge. I originally held back a bit more. Then added a tiny amount of extra sharpening. I often dont mind a very mild amount of grain. As long as its borderline. Like you say right on the edge. The ringing annoys me. I can get rid of it. Ive found a reasonable technique.  sometimes i do. Sometimes i cant be bothered as here. Especially when the data is nothing special like here.  I also could reduce it, by not using IR685 possibly slower exposure lower gain. But then the image will suffer over softness most likely. And seeing often will not support that, causing ringing itself. . Better to remove it. than hinder the settings during capture i presently feel. Though its guesswork if using a different filter exposure and gain would effect the ringing. The large central obstruction does cause worse diffraction effects i believe. ( Though the Orion has it too with small CO ) Easy to cure with really soft images. But i am trying to go beyond that, otherwise what's the point in keep doing it.  Under jittery seeing we certainly need all our tools to combat that. sure you agree. Previous before the extra sharpening. Not a lot but slightly less on the knife edge. This was also a quick go. No pipp. i may try a better more careful go

March 9th cassegrain.png  75 sgl.png full.png r.png

Edited by neil phillips

7 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Hi Mike yes right on the edge. I originally held back a bit more. Then added a tiny amount of extra sharpening. I often dont mind a very mild amount of grain. As long as its borderline. Like you say right on the edge. The ringing annoys me. I can get rid of it. Ive found a reasonable technique.  sometimes i do. Sometimes i cant be bothered as here. Especially when the data is nothing special like here.  I also could reduce it, by not using IR685 possibly slower exposure lower gain. But then the image will suffer over softness most likely. And seeing often will not support that, causing ringing itself. . Better to remove it. than hinder the settings during capture i presently feel. Though its guesswork if using a different filter exposure and gain would effect the ringing. The large central obstruction does cause worse diffraction effects i believe. ( Though the Orion has it too with small CO ) Easy to cure with really soft images. But i am trying to go beyond that, otherwise what's the point in keep doing it.  Under jittery seeing we certainly need all our tools to combat that. sure you agree. Previous before the extra sharpening. Not a lot but slightly less on the knife edge. This was also a quick go. No pipp. i may try a better more careful go

I liked the slightly backed off one more.   Great stuff regardless in the jitters!   

• Like 1

Yep lots of nice detail on show Neil even though the seeing was very jittery. There are great images to be had with the cassagrain once we can get some decent weather. Also good information above on the different ways to improve the capture data regarding frame rates gain etc. It is a constant battle just trying to find that sweet spot as nearly every clear night we get is always different. (Oh yeah It's always safer to stay clear of the edge very dangerous)😀

3 hours ago, morimarty said:

Yep lots of nice detail on show Neil even though the seeing was very jittery. There are great images to be had with the cassagrain once we can get some decent weather. Also good information above on the different ways to improve the capture data regarding frame rates gain etc. It is a constant battle just trying to find that sweet spot as nearly every clear night we get is always different. (Oh yeah It's always safer to stay clear of the edge very dangerous)😀

4 hours ago, Trevor N said:

Loads of fine detail there Neil as usual 👍👍

Cheers Trevor much appreciated

3 hours ago, morimarty said:

Yep lots of nice detail on show Neil even though the seeing was very jittery. There are great images to be had with the cassegrain once we can get some decent weather. Also good information above on the different ways to improve the capture data regarding frame rates gain etc. It is a constant battle just trying to find that sweet spot as nearly every clear night we get is always different. (Oh yeah It's always safer to stay clear of the edge very dangerous)😀

Teetering lol. But yes I know you get what i was suggesting Martyn. lts good discovering ways to improve capturing through common sense and experimentation. You hit the nail on the head when you said sweet spot. Thats really it in a nutshell. Its a constantly changing playing field. As such we need to learn to bend with it. The images improve as a result. 

Cheers Martyn.