SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Double cluster in Perseus

ONIKKINEN

60x30s exposures with my VX8 and Rising cam IMX571OSC, binned 2x2.

1876722437_Double-cluster_bin2x2-stretchedcopy.thumb.jpg.03312d108a895a0b4e78cf38293b9826.jpg

Took this while waiting for my main target Abell 1656 (coma cluster) to rise above a treeline, but that data ended up being quite cursed for a multitude of reasons so time will tell if that picture ever gets finished, but probably not this year.

I like the contrast of different star types in this cluster, the bright blue (stellar blue that is) B-type stars, and the few noticeably differently coloured A, F and G-type whiter stars along with the few M-type stars that have made it to the end of their lives and will soon blow up or wither away as white dwarfs.

• Like 37

12 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Great star colour and definition. Cluster, open or globular, are the hardest objects to image in my opinion. You've done a great job with beautiful object. :)

Thanks for the feedback. I think applying just the right amount of saturation before things get "crunchy" is key to get different star colours nicely balanced. I think the diffraction spikes of my newtonian also work with me in this, nicely spreading out the colours where applicable.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mackiedlm said:

I dont generally get much out of star cluster images and tend not to image them myself. But I think that image is strikingly beautiful.

I sometimes image them as secondary targets like i did with this one, doesn't need a long integration and the worst thing that could happen is loss of 30 minutes. Most dont look nearly as interesting as the double cluster though.

• Like 1

Superb image, I love the double cluster and you've captured it perfectly.   However, there is more colour in the stars than you have been able to show and I think you should push the saturation up slightly more.  I;d love to see it when you have because I love the way you have tight stars and have it framed.

May I show mine on your thread by way of comparison??? I like your framing better but I managed to get more colour. You've inspired me to have another go at it in autumn so that I can get rid of the slight haze I have in my version.

Double Cluster with FSQ 85 and Atik 460 | SK Astro

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kirkster501 said:

Superb image, I love the double cluster and you've captured it perfectly.   However, there is more colour in the stars than you have been able to show and I think you should push the saturation up slightly more.  I;d love to see it when you have because I love the way you have tight stars and have it framed.

May I show mine on your thread by way of comparison??? I like your framing better but I managed to get more colour. You've inspired me to have another go at it in autumn so that I can get rid of the slight haze I have in my version.

Double Cluster with FSQ 85 and Atik 460 | SK Astro

Yours is very nice! I kinda like the "ethereal" look to the haze in your shot. Almost makes it look like a galactic halo sort of thing, really nice touch 👍. You could have spun it as a choice in processing rather than something you wanted to get rid of and i would have believed you 100%.

I do agree seeing yours that my reds are not as vibrant, but yours still doesn't look oversaturated at all to me. Maybe ill have another go, i still have the data somewhere in the terabytes of data i have stored in one of my hard drives.

For me this target is available round the year at 60 degrees north, one of the perks of northern astrophotography that some targets are always available. Well maybe a bit too low at its lowest, but visually no problem and i check this every time i convince myself to put an eyepiece in rather than a camera.

Very nice! I love the Double Cluster - my own version was taken with a refractor, but I can see the benefits of using a reflector for stars, the spikes really add to the effect.

• Thanks 1