Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is this a good laptop for Pixinsight?

blinky

Im thinking of getting one of these : https://www.currys.co.uk/products/asus-vivobook-pro-m3500qc-15.6-laptop-amd-ryzen-9-1-tb-ssd-blue-10230046.html  At the moment I have a relativly old gaming laptop (Origin) with a Desktop Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz   and 332GB of RAM.  Obviously this new laptop is half that but I think 16GB should still be plenty for Pixinsight, my worry is the laptop wont be any faster than what I have.

This is the spec from the site:

Graphics card
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 - 4 GB GDDR6
RAM
16 GB DDR4
Processor
- AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX Processor - Octa-core - 3.3 GHz / 4.6 GHz - 16 MB cache
Storage
1 TB M.2 SSD

Screen

Resolution
Full HD 1920 x 1080p
Screen size
15.6"

just thought to check the pixinsight benchmarks!  my current laptop got a CPU score of 7979 when I ran it and looking at the benchmark site, the processor in this new laptop scored 19,889 so well over twice the score!  I am now assuming this is defiantly a faster laptop!

my existing one is fine to be honest - just getting a bit old, its a gaming laptop so very bulky and the trackpad is starting to flake somehow now as well, which is my real reason for the new laptop

I don't think it matters too much, even with an I9 my PC can still take a while to do certian tasks in PI - long enough that you switch away and do something else and then PI sits there idle untill you remember to go back to it.