SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Exceptional Seeing?

Shibby

I was comparing two sets of M33 luminance captures taken on different dates and noticed a huge difference in detail.

It got me wondering whether the first set was on a night of exceptional seeing or whether it was more likely down to my equipment e.g. focus or guiding. Unfortunately I don't have the guide logs but I'm fairly certain the total RMS was in the typical range of 0.5-0.6" on both nights. So I guess my question is, should I always be expecting the level of detail achieved in the first set or is that an exception to the rule?

Here are some crops. Both are at 100%, which is 0.94 arcsec/pixel. No processing other than a linear stretch.

The first was taken on the night of 13/01. DeepSkyStacker reports an FWHM of around 3.8 pixels:

M33-L-130122.png.299f5373bb8c53673ee069a92e5ad7af.png

The second was taken on the night of 27/01. FWHM around 4.8". This seems like a fairly typical level of detail for me - but should it be? (Note there is bit less noise because there were more subs)

M33-L-270122.png.9211fa53fc884868127e7099a1448818.png

Shot at similar altitudes I'd assume? I've certianly seen big differences in FWHM between nights to the extent that some nights the data just doesn't get stacked.

I know others have said in the past that some nights are only good for colour data.