Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best material for dob bearings.

faulksy

1 hour ago, faulksy said:

i contacted david. he supplied me with 3000mm x 40mm for my alt bearings and a square piece 600mm x 600mm for my azy bearing for £40 inc postage

what a awsome dude

fitting it all today 🤣

I’d be interested to know what laminate it is. If you are able to ascertain somehow.

4 minutes ago, davhei said:

I’d be interested to know what laminate it is. If you are able to ascertain somehow.

no info on this, except david said he uses it on all his dobs and its the best material so far.

i will put a pic up later

• Like 2

I decided to get one of these "lube disk" for a 5th wheel. It doesn't work and actually made it worst. It's just cheap plastic and has no lubricity at all! Then, I tried to "fix" it by spraying some teflon dry lube on it. Slight improvement but it wasn't worth the hassle anymore so I went with the lazy susan ball bearing ring. Smooth as butter now. Long story short; don't buy the lube disk.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, v4cascade said:

I went with the lazy susan ball bearing ring

Do you ever find it too smooth in that it tends to overshoot and/or not stay put due to a complete lack of "sticktion"?  I could see if the base were not completely level it might contribute to "windmilling" of the upper assembly (seeking the lowest potential energy state).

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

Do you ever find it too smooth in that it tends to overshoot and/or not stay put due to a complete lack of "sticktion"?  I could see if the base were not completely level it might contribute to "windmilling" of the upper assembly (seeking the lowest potential energy state).

Yes, if it's not complete leveled gravity will want to play with it. I'll probably add one of these in the near future with some kind of padding so I can have some adjustability with the amount of friction or completely lock it in place while still maintaining that butter smooth rotation when needed. 

Cam Lever (Cam Clamp) Plastic Handle - Steel Screw (WDS 365), Cam Levers &  Clamps | WDS

On 08/05/2022 at 23:11, wookie1965 said:

You should not be running a extension lead off another extension lead it is a serious fire hazard.

Only if you overload it!

Edited by Mandy D
edited for clarity
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

Only if you overload it!

From Which magazine. Is an extension lead on an extension lead really a bad idea?  and many other sources.

Yes it is. You should never 'daisy-chain' extension leads together. If you use more than one extension lead per socket it will significantly raise the risk of overloading the socket.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/how-to-avoid-overloading-your-plug-sockets-at-home-aTSuv5g17VME - Which?

No. If you connect two or more extension leads together (sometimes known as 'daisy-chaining), the resistance of the extension leads increase. This can lead to overheating and fires. Only use one extension lead per socket and never plug an extension lead into another.

Edited by wookie1965

2 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

From Which magazine. Is an extension lead on an extension lead really a bad idea?  and many other sources.

Yes it is. You should never 'daisy-chain' extension leads together. If you use more than one extension lead per socket it will significantly raise the risk of overloading the socket.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/how-to-avoid-overloading-your-plug-sockets-at-home-aTSuv5g17VME - Which?

No. If you connect two or more extension leads together (sometimes known as 'daisy-chaining), the resistance of the extension leads increase. This can lead to overheating and fires. Only use one extension lead per socket and never plug an extension lead into another.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. You really should not take much notice of Which? magazine. The important thing is the total load current as measured at the wall socket where the first lead is plugged in. Nothing else after that matters! Which? is just putting out information to ensure that idiots do not accidentally overload a circuit. Yes, the total resistance in circuit as contributed by the copper in the cables increases, but no matter what that rises to (as long as the cable is rated for the total current) it will not overheat, nor will it catch fire. The above is, as usual, poor quality advice from Which?

You really don't need to worry too much about the resistance of an extension cable until it is over about 100 metres. The only real impact it has is voltage drop and if the voltage at the end of the cable is too low for the connected appliance to properly function, it may cause problems. In the case of small, low power appliances, such as phone chargers and TVs you can connect many more than the 4 sockets on the first extension cable. Looking at a 5 volt, 2 amp USB power supply in my office, it specifies 0.3 amps input current. To reach the 13 A rating of a UK socket, would require 43 of them plugged in and fully loaded. I'm guessing the 0.3A input rating is the surge at initial connection, as it is way too much for the rated output and expected efficiency of a switched mode power supply, so you could probably add a load more and still be OK, but let's not recommend that.

If you are just making the first one longer then yes I agree but I would go and buy a longer one just in case. 

Plenty of people get extension cords/reels and don't uncoil it all when using it, which is also dangerous. 

Screenshot_20220513-181453_Chrome.jpg

• 2 weeks later...