Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

‘Grinding noise’ Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro (Rowan belt drive)

Heeeeeelp…
Developed an alarming ‘grinding noise’ (RA) with my HEQ5 Pro with Rowan belt drive! All has been ok until now…started after only two frames then stopped everything! When I try in manual it grinds more prominently when starting and stopping and will not track, no changes in balance, electric supply or anything else apart from I left it out for a couple of nights covered with a telegizmo and tarp. Any thoughts would be much appreciated before I start stripping it down. 

Had a look in the day time now and tried/found the following
1. Checked power supply on different sources and all ok
2. Checked worm gear for being too tight and all ok
3. Worm gear runs freely when not powered up
4. Motor runs when on high slew rate (grinding noise at begining and end)

Any thoughts/comments welcome.

Normally a fitting of a belt system removes the graunching sound!!

If you remove the belt and run the RA stepper, do you hear the same grinding sound?  - Just trying to rule out bearings on the motor or harmonics in the motor coils caused by the pulsing from the controller.

With the belt removed, if you rotate the pulley attached to the worm gear, does it feel free to rotate with fingers, and can you / do you feel any resistance or anything grinding.

Check the alignment and tension of the belt when refitting - was there any evidence of belt wear ?