Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stellalyra Dob and Asterion Push-to kit with stock alt clutch tensioner mod

Got the Asterion GSO delux Push-to Kit for my new 10" dob, which works well by the way.

The Alt encoder unfortunately replaces the clutch tensioner on one side, which isn't ideal as I'm having to overcompensate on the Alt tensioner on the other side.

Clever guy named Christopher put a review on the FLO product page in the link above and explained how he'd drilled out his original clutch tensioner so you could keep both tension control and encoding.

Wondering if he's a member here, or if anyone has experience of doing this Mod. It's pretty clear from the instruction but a piccie would be nice to make sure I'm on the right lines

• 2 weeks later...

Heh. Replying to my own topic again! 

Just an FYI if you wanted to try drilling out the clutch tensioner on a stellalyra dob fitted with the Asterion GSO push-to kit to keep the second tensioner clutch function

I managed to brave it out and do this mod but credit for the original idea goes to Chirstopher who's method is documented in the product review in the link above, but it felt soooo wrong cutting into some brand new kit. It doesn't look all that bad though, and more importantly I have my second clutch tensioner back - shame I couldn't find a black washer lying around but happy with what I've achieved.

I don't have a pillar drill so this was a two man job one drilling and one looking to ensure the drill bit was true 90 degrees. We drilled a pilot hole in the centre of the tensioner cover from below, and then used a holesaw drill from above to slowly cut away downwards to eventually uncover the top of the shaft inside the tensioner without harming the screw-thread inside.

Next we reinserted the sensor connector (the middle plastic bit with the knurled screw-head) back through the hole we'd just cut, adding some ceramic washers (the orange bit) between the top of the now exposed screw-thread and the connector thus ensuring independent movement by preventing it snagging on the tensioner cover (right most in the picture).

We also added a small black spacer at the bottom of the frame supporting the sensor to compensate for having raised up the connector at the top end so it remained at 90 degrees to the tensioner clutch.

The tensioner tightens independently of the sensor and the sensor moves without altering the tension - Happy Days!

I could have probably drilled a larger diameter hole and avoided the need for spacing as above but this method keeps the integrity of the clutch housing by cutting away less of the metal inside and allows you to keep the original knurled screw-head on the connector.

Hope this helps any attempt at the above but obviously don't follow the above unless you are willing to take the risk of permanently damaging your tensioner / voiding your warranty.

IMG_3055.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Looks like a neat job there, good work @That Bear Guy.  It’s an interesting modification, and one I’m researching having been used to using Celestron’s StarSense technology. 
Without doing the drilling mod, how did it work relying on just one clutch tensioner? - obviously not well enough hence your DIY job, but interested to understand more. Was it hard to achieve balance with heavier eyepieces for example ?

How did you find removal of the OTA from the Dob base with the Asterion kit fitted (minus your tensioner mod)?

Haven’t come across many reviews of the system but sounds like it works well.