SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lunt B600 Issue

Ordered from Bresser - I had to pay (really would have expected to receive this for free given it is a materials design/spec defect imho... )  €21.90 shipped, but it's the principle!

Should be here in a few days...

Edited by niallk

This happened to me twice and it's something that will keep happening!

The first time since the scope was under warranty, Lunt sent me a new piece of glass free of charge. It's easy to replace, just make sure you have some really thin nosed pliers to unscrew the cap.

The second time it happened, I did a bit of research as I had to pay to get new glass and postage went through the roof and found out that you can clean it with a good quality metal polish and it came out as new.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 04Stefan07 said:

...you can clean it with a good quality metal polish...

hmmm, being an optical surface I would hesitate polishing it as that may affect the parallelism of the two surfaces. Better to dissolve it in an acid as recommended by Lunt (in response by Lunt to my inquiry):

You can certainly try to clean the filter.  The results will depend on the how bad the discoloration is on the filter.  For cleaning we recommend soaking the filter in a strong cleaner, in the US we have CLR which is a Calcium , Lime and Rust remover.  You will want to soak it for a day then wipe clean.  If that does not work then you will need a replacement filter. 

Being from the Netherlands, where CLR is not available, I used cleaning vinegar in increasingly long immersions until it was clean.

Nicolàs

• Thanks 1

At €22, I'm OK to swallow the cost for a pristine optical element.  Obviously would prefer it not to happen, or be free.  The next thing for me now tbh is to source a tool for the retaining ring!

• 2 weeks later...

Replacement blue glass received - prompt service from Baader 👍

Replacement was - as others had said - very straightforward:

* picked off some black 'silicone' on the retainer ring

* used two woodscrew, one in each hand, to unscrew the retainer ring - no problems 😊 

* old glass freely fell out, dropped new one in

* re-tightened retainer ring, and backed off 1/2 turn per Lunt advice for avoiding heat induced expansion stresses

Then got to check and.... lovely 😉 no scatter around the limb, so improved contrast for proms.  No feeling like I'm observing through patchy cloud on the disc.

My 'lil Lunt is restored 😍

Edited by niallk
  • Like 2