Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Strawberries cause light pollution

Zermelo

One silver lining is that it does seem that people in dark places aren’t completely indifferent to the quality of their skies! Also with the big increases in energy costs headed  our way even LEDs’ energy consumption will become noticeable and worthy of reduction.

M

52 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Unbelievable. Why do we need strawberries in winter? :BangHead: :cussing:.

Just order them from Florida! We are in the berry season. 

This week the Strawberry Festival,  with her majesty  the Strawberry Queen.

Turn those lights off, help our economy!😁

Edited by maw lod qan

• 11 months later...
On 05/03/2022 at 19:59, Captain Scarlet said:

One silver lining is that it does seem that people in dark places aren’t completely indifferent to the quality of their skies! Also with the big increases in energy costs headed  our way even LEDs’ energy consumption will become noticeable and worthy of reduction.

M

yes that’s encouraging! Hopefully the harm to nature aspect will grow in the general publics awareness- it’ll have a lot more clout than a few astronomy geeks ;) 

Mark

• Like 1

I'd imagine that causes all sorts of confusion for insects and wildlife in the region too which could cause drops in numbers etc.

As to importing, well I guess in part the goal is to not have to import and so add to the carbon footprint, yeah I know, we import the bulk of fruit and veg these days so what's a little bit more. Another thing, for me at least, US products could be GM, for example and in the past when I did buy some from Costco here, US source, typically oversize and totally tasteless. Never bought them again and am more inclined to avoid US products given they allow stuff like that (no offense MLQ). I'd far rather buy in season local product, esp some of the heritage varieties which were the tastiest strawberries I've ever had tho Tesco don't seem to get that many and they disappear off the shelves real quick.

Edited by DaveL59