Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

StellaLyra f/4 M-LRN Newtonian Reflector Telescopes

The StellaLyra family of telescopes continues to grow 🙂 

These fast Newtonian reflectors with 2" dual-speed Linear Crayford focusers are manufactured to a high standard by Guan Sheng Optical (GSO) in Taiwan. 

As with all StellaLyra telescopes they are covered by our 30-day return policy and a two-year warranty so you can buy with confidence. 

StellaLyra 6" f/4 M-LRN Newtonian Reflector 

StellaLyra 8" f/4 M-LRN Newtonian Reflector

stellalyra_8_f4_newt_SGL_1.jpg.69a9ede3bd40ad78f28b38284b347ba0.jpg

stellalyra_8_f4_newt_SGL_2.jpg.3e1cf10d25bc6a7c5032000b52c10521.jpg

stellalyra_8_f4_newt_SGL_3.jpg.03383044ba417f301b6aa2078a842cd5.jpg

stellalyra_8_f4_newt_SGL_4.jpg.859bd541e6cd04e0b558e0a7a996bd09.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I've kindly borrowed the 6" model to play with as well as the StellaLyra Photo-visual coma corrector (Yes I'm like a kid in a sweet shop!) Anyway, to begin with here's a video overview plus out the box collimation check. Once I've MacGyvered an extra counterweight to balance the scope on the mount I'll attempt to do the scope some justice and pop out some pics :)

• Like 8

excellent review chris!

do we know what the image circle is of the CC with this scope - maybe a flat image with an APSC or full frame camera. the product page on FLO only states 44 mm clear apparture.

also curious if it will work with a 130 pds - 5.5F seems slow in modern days, but that is not too bad. but will make my 130pds usable again as i need 68 mm of backfocus when using my OAG

Edited by rsarwar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rsarwar said:

excellent review chris!

do we know what the image circle is of the CC with this scope - maybe a flat image with an APSC or full frame camera. the product page on FLO only states 44 mm clear apparture. 

also curious if it will work with a 130 pds.

Thanks glad you liked it :) Well the coma corrector shouldn't vignette much at all with a full frame sensor as it has 44mm clear aperture, however as to how well it corrects star shapes to the edge with a full frame camera I do not know. Most of the reviews out there are for fast Dob owners using it as a cheap alternative to a paracorr.

I will be testing the coma corrector with an APS-C  Fuji sensor and adding to the information regarding the imaging side of things. The few imaging reviews I've seen do indicate it would be decent at f/5 with your 130pds, although they don't mention the sensor size! 

One thing to note is that the GSO/StellaLyra photo-visual coma corrector requires a slightly unusual back focus of 75mm as apposed to the typical 55mm so a 20mm extension tube will be required as well as your T-ring. 

yes, looking forward your review of the CC using your APS-C. although i believe the size of the image circle is also dependent on the size of the secondary mirror, which is small for 130 pds.

75 mm is ideal for me given my odd setup (need 68 mm). Why are we stuck with this 55mm non-sense any way!

On 25/03/2022 at 22:33, Chris said:

Thanks glad you liked it :) Well the coma corrector shouldn't vignette much at all with a full frame sensor as it has 44mm clear aperture, however as to how well it corrects star shapes to the edge with a full frame camera I do not know. Most of the reviews out there are for fast Dob owners using it as a cheap alternative to a paracorr.

I will be testing the coma corrector with an APS-C  Fuji sensor and adding to the information regarding the imaging side of things. The few imaging reviews I've seen do indicate it would be decent at f/5 with your 130pds, although they don't mention the sensor size! 

One thing to note is that the GSO/StellaLyra photo-visual coma corrector requires a slightly unusual back focus of 75mm as apposed to the typical 55mm so a 20mm extension tube will be required as well as your T-ring. 

Just a quick test shot of M63 Sunflower galaxy so far, the extension rings I've ordered for the coma corrector are stuck in the post so no coma corrector used and just cropped instead. 30 x 100 second light frames using a Fuji XT1. 

M63_DSS.final2.png

Edited by Chris
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I quick update on how the StellaLyra 6" f/4 testing is going. 

I didn't have much luck with the StellaLyra photo-visual coma corrector, you need to have it positioned sticking far out the focuser to reach focus which creates tilt. Adding the supplied 35mm extension tube doesn't quite allow for enough in focus so I wasn't able to find a way around this. After weeks of testing out different back spacings I decided to switch to the Baader MPCC which I simply pushed all the way into the focuser and bingo, a much better match I feel. 

I've properly collimated the scope and I found it to be a breeze compared to previous f/4 Newts I've owned (the mirror springs are definitely better!)

Last night I captured around 2 hours of data on the Elephants Trunk nebula using a stock Fuji XT1, Optolong L-eNhance filter, Baader MPCC and the image was processed in GIMP. No darks, flats or bias because it's quite a clean sensor on the Fuji and the imaging train fully illuminates a crop sensor. Well that's an excuse, I'm really just lazy! 

Now it's collimated and I've found the right coma corrector I consider this image to be the StellaLyra's first proper light. I want to keep this scope!

Ele Trunk Neb_DSS_FINAL.png

Edited by Chris
  • Like 5

Interesting that you found the Baader CC to be ok with the f4 scope. I have one and used it with my TS 6" f4 and could not get good stars even with a smaller sensor than APS-C. I ended up getting the Aplanatic CC and a new focuser. Ended up being and expensive scope!

I also got very bad reflections from my filters so it is "on the shelf" for now. I'll give it a go when I get my OSC camera.

31 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

Interesting that you found the Baader CC to be ok with the f4 scope. I have one and used it with my TS 6" f4 and could not get good stars even with a smaller sensor than APS-C. I ended up getting the Aplanatic CC and a new focuser. Ended up being and expensive scope!

I also got very bad reflections from my filters so it is "on the shelf" for now. I'll give it a go when I get my OSC camera.

I'm sorry to hear that Clarkey, its probably the last thing you want to see after all the trouble and expense you've gone through! I don't have an explanation for that one? in this case I just used a T-ring which along with the sensor lens mount distance gave the 55mm backspacing and it gave me the above image. 

Here's a single RAW straight out of camera so you can see the corners without the slight crop on the above image:

DSCF0007.RAF

I am on my phone so I can't open the raw file. The results with the Aplanatic are good so at least the stars are sorted. I've used a parfocal ring to hold it out slightly. It is now on a Baader Steeltrack so no sagging. I might try the MPCC with the Canon later this year.

• Like 1