Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

All about Binoculars

philsail1

BetterViewDesired is definitely one of the better binocular sites. It also helps that it is American as they don't have the same love-affair with German optics (Leica/Zeiss) that we do so the likes of Nikon and Pentax get more of a look-in.

Yes, I found it very useful in that it gave a good description of "Aspherical" eyepieces in binoculars - I'm just about to buy a pair of "Opticron" 8x40 asphericals. (I already have an excellent pair of Opticon 8x40's that I gor from a car boot for £55.00. I was so pleased with their performance, that I decided to try the Wide Angle Aspherical Binoculars they make). I'll let everyone know what they are like on the appropriate section in due course.

Regards,

philsail1

Aspheric optics offer significant benefits to both telescope and binocular design and performance but much depends on whether the aspheric element is being used to reduce cost (a plastic-molded aspheric isn't expensive yet reduces the number of lens elements required) or to increase quality (a single high quality glass or hybrid aspheric can significantly reduce aberrations, but is expensive).

• 1 year later...

Archived